Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First time caller here with just a few questions... (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895)

coocoo 09-19-2007 11:36 AM

First time caller here with just a few questions...

Hi all, i just installed superduper on a brandspanking new macbookpro and so far so good. i just had a few questions and kudos to the developers for making it so simple to get started. I am also a bit new to OSX, coming from decades of microsoft pain and suffering. I was using Acronis Truimage for years and would like to know the following:
* is superduper like carbon copy cloner as in bit for bit backups, and that would be like Acronis but just easier?
* is there a recovery procedure for restoring a caput system from an image sitting on a windows server, which is where i am backing up to right now.
"* is 1.5MB/s backup speed what one would expect over a SOHO lan? that's what I am getting now and that's what i was getting with Acronis, but Acronis was doing heavy compression....is superduper doing any? that would be a bonus!
Well, thanks for a cool product...

dnanian 09-19-2007 11:43 AM

SD! does bit-for-bit file backups, yes, but the files are copied one at a time. We're not block copying.

To recover from a Windows server, you'd have to bring up a basic install of OSX so you can access the image over the network. You could do this with a small partition, etc -- DasBoot (see VerisonTracker) might be able to help with this, too.

Then, you restore as in "Recovering from a disaster "in the User's Guide.

We're not compressing, no. A straight copy over a network depends a lot on what the network's doing, how fast the server's responding, etc -- I get 4-6MB/s on Gigabit ethernet to an Infrant ReadyNAS NV. A subsequent Smart Update, in any case, will be faster.

Hope that helps!

coocoo 09-19-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14190)
SD! does bit-for-bit file backups, yes, but the files are copied one at a time. We're not block copying.

To recover from a Windows server, you'd have to bring up a basic install of OSX so you can access the image over the network. You could do this with a small partition, etc -- DasBoot (see VerisonTracker) might be able to help with this, too.

I hate to be dumb, but u mean a small partition on say, this 120gb MBP? that makes sense as long as it's very small...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14190)
Then, you restore as in "Recovering from a disaster "in the User's Guide.

We're not compressing, no. A straight copy over a network depends a lot on what the network's doing, how fast the server's responding, etc -- I get 4-6MB/s on Gigabit ethernet to an Infrant ReadyNAS NV. A subsequent Smart Update, in any case, will be faster.

Hope that helps!

What about this page, is it valid only for Mac to Mac over the network:
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81)
Well, thanks for the great support!!!

dnanian 09-19-2007 12:32 PM

Yes, you can create a small partition on the MBP, or you could create one on an external drive, or with DasBoot on a flash drive (which is probably easiest).

Backing up over a network is to back up, not to restore, so that thread isn't really relevant.

coocoo 09-19-2007 12:39 PM

Ah, so the backup itself is not bootable. I guess i was spoiled wiht Acronis where u would just restore the entire boot partition from the network and then reboot ur your box and u would be done.

Is there a procedure to test this all out?

dnanian 09-19-2007 12:44 PM

The backup is bootable once restored. The question is getting into an environment where you can restore it.

Since the OSX install disc doesn't have complete network support, you can't do it with a disc you have. So, you need to create an environment that will allow access to your Windows network -- and that's done with the procedure I've recommended.

Better: get a FireWire drive (about $100) and back up directly to it. Then, you can start up directly from the backup -- much better!

coocoo 09-19-2007 01:58 PM

hey thanks again. that's clear now. but i dont want to really go out and get 5 or 6 drives, one per machine? I think the flash drive idea sounds grand if one will work for imacs, macbook,and mbp. so i guess there is no BART PE disk for OSX then - too bad.:D

dnanian 09-19-2007 04:50 PM

You can certainly have one that supports your Intel Macs, but not Power PC, since they can't boot from USB. There's a device from a company that's a FireWire memory stick, though -- or you can use an external drive that's FireWire, and have two partitions, one that works for each.

coocoo 09-20-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14201)
You can certainly have one that supports your Intel Macs, but not Power PC, since they can't boot from USB. There's a device from a company that's a FireWire memory stuck, though -- or you can use an external drive that's FireWire, and have two partitions, one that works for each.

Okay, thats all grand. Now what about the WinXP Partition? (bootcamp/parellels). Back that up to and use schedule smartupdate as well? Thx for the great support!

dnanian 09-20-2007 08:35 AM

We don't copy Windows formatted drives.