Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can't Find Target Volume (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716)

johare 10-16-2006 07:32 PM

Can't Find Target Volume

Hello, I'm having an issue where SD can't find my BackupDaily image. I moved this image to a new drive and I did read where SD ignores the drive name but rather uses some low level ID. Do I need to create a new BackupDaily image on this drive for SD to remember it? I unchecked & rechecked the "Remember source & dest. vols." in preferences with no luck.
Thanks!

dnanian 10-16-2006 09:59 PM

Is this an image or a direct-copy volume, johare?

johare 10-17-2006 08:04 AM

An image located on an external firewire drive. Over the past few weeks, I've just been manually mounting the image when SD tries to run its scheduled backup.

dnanian 10-17-2006 11:49 AM

And what error do you get? Did you rename the drive the image is hosted on?

johare 10-17-2006 04:27 PM

Original Setup:
External FW Drive named "Data"
Home folder backed up to an image called "BackupDaily"

Then I bought a new external HD and moved my images to it.

Current Setup
External FW drive named "Data2"
The same image "BackupDaily" is used to backup my Home Folder

However, when SD tried to execute a scheduled backup it says "Cannot find the target volume "BackupDaily."

So I tried to use the same image and recreate the backup process. I turned off the "Remember" feature & performed a backup. Then I turned on the "remember" feature and performed a backup. I then scheduled that backup job to run every weekday at 4:30pm. However, everyweekday at 4:40pm SD gets stuck because it can'y mount the image. Should I just delete the current image and start over?
Thanks!

dnanian 10-17-2006 04:59 PM

Right, because it's looking at a drive called "Data". So -- you should be able to recreate the schedule, but you need to re-choose "Disk image..." and re-pick the image from the new drive. (Even though it's grey, you can click it.)

johare 10-18-2006 08:14 PM

I had to create a new image (.dmg) file and create a new backup job. SD now mounts the image automatically.

cmarcus 10-26-2006 08:18 PM

"Even though it's grey, you can click it."

This has been driving me crazy today! I was trying to figure out how to manually run a Smart Update backup to an image I had already created and backed-up to - the grey image names made me think I couldn't select them, and in fact when I did select them, the dialog box made me think SD would create a NEW image with the same name, not backup to my exisiting image. Isn't this a big UI no-no? Shouldn't there be a more explicit choice: either Create a New Image, or Use and Existing Image, as the backup target?

dnanian 10-26-2006 10:49 PM

Yep, I'm well aware it's not the best design (and knew when it was done) -- although the original design didn't have it greyed out, we couldn't find a good way to customize the dialog while still retaining all the built-in navigation goodness.

And I didn't want two commands, either. Still looking for a good solution, but you know what to do now, at least! :)

cmarcus 10-27-2006 12:56 PM

Hmm, I'm not a UI designer, but I'd imagine this is a very typical UI question with very clear guidelines from Apple - surely there is some very standard way of allowing a user to choose either to backup to an existing image, or to create a new image to backup to - no need to reinvent the wheel here I'd imagine, but like I said, I'm not a UI expert!

Thanks, Cooper : )