Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Upgrade HDD on Unibody MacBook Pro (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4936)

glitterbug 01-17-2009 04:59 AM

Upgrade HDD on Unibody MacBook Pro

Hi there! I just got myself a new unibody MacbookPro and i want to upgrade the HDD from the 250GB drive to a 7200RPM 320GB drive (the WD Scorpia Black). My plan: putting the new drive in an external enclosure, letting SD doing its thing, and exchanging the old drive with the new one. In my hopes and dreams, this would just work... but i ran in so many issues when upgrading from my old macbook pro 2,33GHZ (that was stolen) to the new machine (the bootable clones did not boot, restoring from the backups also not really, and and and...) that i am afraid this operation, as easy as it might sound, won't go so easy. Anything i have to be aware off?

Thank ya all in advance!

fishmonkey 01-17-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterbug (Post 23162)
Hi there! I just got myself a new unibody MacbookPro and i want to upgrade the HDD from the 250GB drive to a 7200RPM 320GB drive (the WD Scorpia Black). My plan: putting the new drive in an external enclosure, letting SD doing its thing, and exchanging the old drive with the new one. In my hopes and dreams, this would just work... but i ran in so many issues when upgrading from my old macbook pro 2,33GHZ (that was stolen) to the new machine (the bootable clones did not boot, restoring from the backups also not really, and and and...) that i am afraid this operation, as easy as it might sound, won't go so easy. Anything i have to be aware off?

Thank ya all in advance!

upgrading the internal drive like that should work pretty smoothly...

the trouble you ran into before would have most likely been because the version of Mac OS X on your clone from your old MBP would not have had all the new code required to support your new unibody...

make sure you repartition/format the new external drive using a GUID partition mapping scheme (with Disk Utility) before you do the clone...

and, to help ensure things go smoothly i would also repair permissions and verify/repair the internal drive before you do the clone...

glitterbug 01-17-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey (Post 23163)
upgrading the internal drive like that should work pretty smoothly...

the trouble you ran into before would have most likely been because the version of Mac OS X on your clone from your old MBP would not have had all the new code required to support your new unibody...

make sure you repartition/format the new external drive using a GUID partition mapping scheme (with Disk Utility) before you do the clone...

and, to help ensure things go smoothly i would also repair permissions and verify/repair the internal drive before you do the clone...

good plan! i did what you said and the process is running in the background... i will write a sentence once the whole thing has gone through.

most likely you are right: the last backup i had did not work on the new unibody, but smoothly on an Intel iMac. The issues i ran into afterwards were horrifying: in tried all kinds of things, incl. the (badbad) migration assistant that did mostly two things: not work and kill the entire installation on the new machine. so i am a little bit traumatized...

and i also was not sure if there would be a difference in running the clone externally over USB or FW or as main HDD internally.

dnanian 01-17-2009 08:55 AM

Fishmonkey is entirely right: your issues were very likely because your new Mac had a 'special build' of the OS that supported the new hardware, and the OS you were trying to copy to it did not have those new changes.