Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Growl stops growling (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7049)

Dan Lester 02-28-2017 10:22 AM

Growl stops growling

I have Growl set up to pop a click-to-acknowledge note on my screen reporting that a SuperDuper backup has happened. Inevitably, that reporting simply stops.Maybe after days. Maybe after weeks. SuperDuper keeps doing scheduled backups, but Growl stops reporting them. I stop and restart Growl, and the non-reporting continues.

I think I've killed off the SuperDuper scheduling, and reestablished it, and the Growl reporting returns. So there is some evidence that this is a SuperDuper issue. Is this a known issue? What can I do to preserve this functionality?

dnanian 02-28-2017 10:24 AM

I use Growl here and have never seen this, Dan. I can't see how the backups would be happening but Growl wouldn't be notified: the schedule fires off the event to have Growl do its thing...so if it's running the schedule it'd certainly run the event...

Dan Lester 03-02-2017 09:54 AM

Hmm. OK. I see I am using an archaic version of Growl. I will update and see if that fixes it.

dnanian 03-03-2017 06:47 AM

Let me know!

Dan Lester 04-02-2017 01:50 PM

OK, the problem is resolved. Took a month to figure it out. I updated Growl, and the problem remained. Growl refused to notify me conspicuously with a "stay on screen" bubble when a copy was completed. It did on one machine, but not on another. I thought Growl was set up identically on both, but it turned out not to be.

In Growl Preferences, under Applications, you have to be careful to examine all the tasks the application can be doing. Under "Copy failed", "Stay on screen" was set to "Always". But oops, in "Scheduled copy succeeded", "Stay on screen" was set to "Application Decides" on that one machine. And whaddaya know, SuperDuper! decided to tell Growl not to have it's "scheduled copy succeeded" report bubble stay on screen!

So once I set "Scheduled copy succeeded" "Stay on Screen" to "Always", everything worked. I got up in the morning to see a bubble reporting that SuperDuper! had succeeded in making the copy.

So, Dave, why does SuperDuper! decide to tell Growl not to have the report bubble stay on the screen?

dnanian 04-02-2017 01:53 PM

We don't: that's a setting left up to the user, as far as I know. (We register the application and event, and the notification handling is set by the user.)

Dan Lester 04-02-2017 02:01 PM

Interesting. Where is the user given that notification handling choice?

dnanian 04-02-2017 02:14 PM

When you initially turn on the notifications. We register they're supported and available, and you configure them in Growl.

Dan Lester 04-02-2017 03:41 PM

Hmm. OK, but Growl says "Application Decides". Sounds like that's not quite what is happening. I was presuming they meant the application SuperDuper! decides.

I'm sorry. How do you "turn on the notifications"? Nothing in the manual about notifications.

Growl is certainly notified by SuperDuper! that it has completed a task, but Growl is telling me that SuperDuper! is deciding whether the notification bubble stays on the screen. Looks to me like the Growl user is deciding that, and not the SuperDuper! application.

dnanian 04-02-2017 03:56 PM

I mean you turn on the notifications in Growl. They default to off.

No, Growl does not notify SuperDuper! it has completed a task. Rather, we notify Growl that we've completed an event and give it the message to display for that category.

Dan Lester 04-02-2017 09:05 PM

Thank you. That makes sense. But what Growl says about "Application Decides" does not.