Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lion recovery partition (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6647)

dnanian 07-27-2012 11:11 PM

Remember, you're only copying the volume (partition) you select. That's how things are defined. A "drive" (physical) can't be selected, and doesn't even have a name...

Reinstalling Lion, as I said, preserves your existing applications and data. There's no need to run Migration - your data and apps stay in place.

DavidCB 07-27-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31750)
Remember, you're only copying the volume (partition) you select. That's how things are defined. A "drive" (physical) can't be selected, and doesn't even have a name...

Reinstalling Lion, as I said, preserves your existing applications and data. There's no need to run Migration - your data and apps stay in place.

Thank you--now I understand about copying only the volume.

As for reinstalling Lion, I think I understand that now too--I hadn't seen from what you had said before that it preserved your existing applications and data.

David

dnanian 07-28-2012 08:03 AM

Yes. Since Snow Leopard, a reinstall (not an erase install) basically refreshes the OS under your stuff.

edalzell 08-01-2012 11:23 AM

OK, just so I am clear (foggy head this morning).

I have just ordered an SSD for my 2009 MBP. Steps I should take are:
1. SD backup
2. Install SSD
3. Install ML on SSD
4. Use SD to copy over entire drive, overwriting the OS I just installed?

edalzell 08-01-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edalzell (Post 31784)
OK, just so I am clear (foggy head this morning).
4. Use SD to copy over entire drive, overwriting the OS I just installed?

Based on this: http://tidbits.com/article/13133 I should install ML then use the Migration assistant. Correct?

dnanian 08-01-2012 11:30 AM

No, you can simply 1. SD Backup; 2. Install SSD; 3: Properly partition/format SSD; 4: Restore backup with SD; 5: Boot from new SSD.

When you're ready to create the recovery partition, simply download and install the OS from the App Store.

dnanian 08-01-2012 11:30 AM

Alternatively, if you'd like, you can install ML on the SSD and then migrate from the backup, as explained in the FAQ.

edalzell 08-01-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31786)
When you're ready to create the recovery partition, simply download and install the OS from the App Store.

This is the part that confuses me. I have ML on my MBP already, so if I restore from back up, I won't have the Recovery Partition. And to get it I re-install the OS?

dnanian 08-01-2012 12:00 PM

I'm sorry, you're right. If you install ML first, and restore with "Restore - all files" with "Smart Update", the recovery partition will still be there so you don't have to restore.

Or you can do it the way I said, and not install ML on the internal (just partition and format), and install ML later.

DavidCB 08-03-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31752)
Yes. Since Snow Leopard, a reinstall (not an erase install) basically refreshes the OS under your stuff.

Thanks for the info--I am new to Lion and didn't realize that.

David

ian4c 10-23-2012 08:19 PM

Recovery Partition Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31786)
No, you can simply 1. SD Backup; 2. Install SSD; 3: Properly partition/format SSD; 4: Restore backup with SD; 5: Boot from new SSD.

Dave, I have used SD to copy my last Macbook Air to my new computer. Clearly I now don't have a 'Recovery Partition' Since I am not very bright on these things I occasionally copy my system as a backup to my SD 'back up drive' with 2 partitions. I alternate these.

Quote from you "When you're ready to create the recovery partition, simply download and install the OS from the App Store."

Since I have a fairly up to date back up + Time Machine what is the need to have the Recovery Partition. If I downloaded ML and installed it - the nest time I made a copy I would loose the Recovery Partition.

So do I really need Recovery Partition?

Ian

dnanian 10-23-2012 09:39 PM

Making a copy won't lose your recovery partition. Replacing a drive will... they're not THAT easy to lose!

ian4c 10-24-2012 06:49 PM

Now I understand - I think?

Now I understand :) Thank you for that.

So when I copy my present MacBook Air, with SD and copy it to (decided to order a MBP R 13" to day) The recovery partition will be in tact?

I'm thinking this may not be correct?

Ian

dnanian 10-24-2012 10:29 PM

You shouldn't do it that way. See Help > Frequently Asked Questions, "I've got a new Mac.."