Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clone to smaller SSD drive? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6351)

bill from maine 12-22-2010 02:55 PM

Clone to smaller SSD drive?

Hi,
I am considering the purchase a of an SSD drive for my Mac Pro.
Given that my primary drive has more data than any available SSD, I will have to purchase a smaller SSD than my current 1 TB primary drive.

Ideally, I would end up with just the operating system and apps on the SSD and store all documents, videos, music, etc on a conventional drive.

I can imagine a process were I manually move all data off of my primary drive so that the space used on my primary would be smaller than the SSD.
Then, I could clone that to an SSD.
That process could take a very long time however.

Can Super Duper! help me do this?

dnanian 12-22-2010 02:56 PM

If your intention is to speed up your OS's operation, you would basically just create a "Sandbox - shared users" on the SSD.

bill from maine 12-22-2010 03:28 PM

Clone to a smaller SSD drive?

Dave,

You replied on one minute!
Thank you!

I have to admit that I have not paid careful attention to sandboxes because I never understood them.
So I just read the manual on this !

You say that the Sandbox - shared users and applications "doesn't copy your user data or applications."
I presume that this is not the best choice, because I want applications on the SSD drive too - for speed.

On the other hand, Sandbox - Shared users "shares your user data between the two volumes, but makes a copy of everything else, including your applications."

Assuming that I use the SSD for my Sandbox, am I correct that this will copy everything EXCEPT the user folder to the SSD drive?

I just ran the program WhatSize (as an Admin user) to see what the sizes are of the various folders at the root level of my primary drive.

Not counting the User folder, I found out that my (root) Library, Applications, System, private folders are the biggest and total about 76 GB.
The remaining large folders (usr, .Spotlight, bin, sbin etc total about 1.5 GB

Given that the remaining files and folders at the root level are very small, am I safe in assuming that a 120 GB SSD drive is plenty big enough?

If I then run the computer off of the SSD, do I install new applications to the SSD drive?

dnanian 12-22-2010 05:43 PM

Try creating a Sandbox - shared users on a much larger drive to see how big it is. But don't cut things too close, Bill. Not only do you need space for temporary files, swap files, updates and the like, you don't want to replace the drive later if you can help it.

bill from maine 12-22-2010 05:48 PM

Excellent idea Dave.
I will do exactly that.

If you run the computer off of the Sandbox drive (with applications), do you update apps and install apps onto the Sandbox drive?

dnanian 12-22-2010 05:49 PM

You do, yes - and you can 'copy back' as explained in the User's Guide to keep the main drive (non-Sandbox) up to date as well.