Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Problem with SMB Shares and Volume Menus (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4739)

jtk 11-11-2008 12:10 PM

Problem with SMB Shares and Volume Menus

I've been running into an oddball issue with the volume selection menus in 2.5. When I have an SMB share mounted by root (and unreadable by users), the source and target menus are both grayed out. When the "Options" button is clicked, both the "General" and "Advanced" tabs and screens behave as expected, but the "Okay" button doesn't seem to do anything. Deleting the settings or preferences doesn't fix the problem, but dismounting the SMB share does.

I suspect that the same thing might happen if any volume that SD! doesn't have read/execute privileges on is mounted. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to verify that scenario.

System info:
PM G5 dual 2GHz w/ 4GB
Two internal drives (desired SD! source and target volumes)
External FW drive (Time Machine volume)
Drobo/DroboShare (SMB share)

dnanian 11-11-2008 01:23 PM

I just mounted a read-only iDisk volume and SD! seems fine, jtk. Try removing the "saved settings" folder in your Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! folder and repeat the test.

jtk 11-11-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22326)
I just mounted a read-only iDisk volume [...]

The problem doesn't occur (as you verified) with read-only volumes, only when the current user has no permissions (e.g. a volume mounted by root with 700 permissions) — neither read, write, nor execute. And, as I said, deleting the settings (okay, I didn't specifically say saved settings...) doesn't have any effect.

Also, I'm not sure whether this problem will occur with locally connected volumes, or only with network shares. I can reliably duplicate this with SMB shares, but haven't tested it with AFS or NFS volumes. Might be interesting to try, if a way can be found to keep them from getting unmounted when the root user logs out.

Just guessing here, but it looks to me like this has something to do with the way SD! or Cocoa handles the list of available volumes.

dnanian 11-11-2008 02:22 PM

Do you get any errors in the console/system logs?

jtk 11-11-2008 03:32 PM

Indeed.

From the console (identical info is system.log):
Code:

11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] .scriptSuite warning for attribute 'boundsAsQDRect' of class 'NSWindow' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': 'NSData<QDRect>' is not a valid type name.
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'name' of class 'NSApplication' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived.
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'lastComponentOfFileName' of class 'NSDocument' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived.
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] .scriptSuite warning for attribute 'boundsAsQDRect' of class 'NSWindow' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': 'NSData<QDRect>' is not a valid type name.
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] .scriptSuite warning for type 'NSTextStorage' attribute 'title' of class 'NSWindow' in suite 'NSCoreSuite': AppleScript name references may not work for this property because its type is not NSString-derived.
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] .scriptSuite warning for superclass of class 'NSAttachmentTextStorage' in suite 'NSTextSuite': 'NSString' is not a valid class name.
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] Exception raised during posting of notification.  Ignored.  exception: 'Unable to retrieve volume information'  invoked observer method: '*** -[MainController handleSettingsLoadNotification:]'  observer: 0x753f40  notification name: 'SDSettingsLoadNofication'
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] Exception raised during posting of notification.  Ignored.  exception: 'Unable to retrieve volume information'  invoked observer method: '*** -[MainController handleSettingsChangeNotification:]'  observer: 0x753f40  notification name: 'SDsettingsChangeNotification'
11/11/2008 12:26:21 SuperDuper![18365] Exception raised during posting of notification.  Ignored.  exception: 'Unable to retrieve volume information'  invoked observer method: '*** -[MainController handleSettingsChangeNotification:]'  observer: 0x753f40  notification name: 'SDsettingsChangeNotification'
11/11/2008 12:26:22 SuperDuper![18365] Exception raised during posting of notification.  Ignored.  exception: 'Unable to retrieve volume information'  invoked observer method: '*** -[MainController applicationDidFinishLaunching:]'  observer: 0x753f40  notification name: 'NSApplicationDidFinishLaunchingNotification'

dnanian 11-11-2008 04:42 PM

Yes, indeed: the system call we're using to retrieve the list of volumes is throwing an exception. OK, thanks.

jtk 03-17-2009 02:29 PM

ping...?

Any solution to this, current or planned?

dnanian 03-17-2009 02:34 PM

We've got it logged. If the API is tossing an exception, it's not something we can fix, though... but we'll look at it when we get time (it's not a high priority item, since you're the only person who seems to be reporting it -- sorry).

jgarbers 03-20-2009 09:02 AM

I have the same problem here. Came in this morning; scheduled SD backup had failed with "can't find target volume" error. Restarted SD and got an error about volume "(null)". Per advice here, removed "Saved Settings" folder; SD launched but vol selection controls were grayed out. Removed other stuff in App Support/SuperDuper and same result. Tried clicking "Options"; got options dialog, but OK button does nothing, and label on first checkbox says

"Repair permissions on SDSourceVolume.name"

Console messages as follows:

Quote:

3/20/09 9:00:49 AM SuperDuper![23224] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Unable to retrieve volume information' invoked observer method: '*** -[MainController applicationDidFinishLaunching:]' observer: 0x851690 notification name: 'NSApplicationDidFinishLaunchingNotification'
3/20/09 9:00:51 AM SuperDuper![23224] LOGGED EXCEPTION: FSGetVolumeInfo failed., reason: Unable to retrieve volume information, userInfo: (null)
I have lots of volumes mounted, including an iDisk and two JungleDisk remote volumes, but have never had this problem before.

jgarbers 03-20-2009 09:05 AM

I ejected the JungleDisk volumes and now SD seems to be OK. jtk, are you using JungleDisk? Maybe there's some compatibility issue there, or their driver isn't doing something properly... I have a friend who works there, so I'd be glad to help make a technical contact if it'd help.

jtk 03-20-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgarbers (Post 24080)
jtk, are you using JungleDisk?

I am, but it's not involved in my case. For me, the problem occurs when I've got an SMB share (in this case, a Drobo/DroboShare volume) mounted by root while I'm trying to use SD under a different account. It is, however, interesting that something similar seems to be happening with JungleDisk.

jgarbers 03-20-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtk (Post 24081)
t. It is, however, interesting that something similar seems to be happening with JungleDisk.

Indeed. "Get Info" on the JD drive, however, shows it mounted via WebDAV, not SMB. The JD driver exposes the filesystem via HTTP on a local port (2667) - you can access it through a browser or mount it via WebDAV. So, assuming we have the same problem, it doesn't appear that it's SMB-specific.

jgarbers 03-20-2009 10:32 AM

I'll note also that I've remounted the JD drives, and SuperDuper does start successfully now, so the problem is transient and may not be reproducible here.

dnanian 03-20-2009 10:48 AM

I believe there's an issue with Jungle Disk volumes whose connection fails: the mount points become invalid in a weird way.