Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Copy sandbox back over Original system (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2531)

Brent 06-23-2007 05:40 AM

Copy sandbox back over Original system

Hi Dave,

I have foolishly been running my system from Mac HD even though I had created a Sandbox. Recently, things have been acting up and I discovered an "invalid node structure".

So I rebooted from the Sandbox and ran "verify disk". No problem.

Now I know that you recommend against copying Sandbox over my original system but I just want to get through this quickly.

I noticed something about “Backup – all files” copy script in the user manual but I am uncertain about the following statement:

....this will only work if the Sandbox and all the shared files were created by SuperDuper!

I have an external backup of all my documents on a sparse image. My machine is filevaulted.

Can I go ahead and copy my sandbox over my original system using "erase, then copy" to fix this directory issue? (invalid node structure)

Thanks

dnanian 06-23-2007 07:39 AM

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Do not do this. You cannot use a Sandbox to recover from disk corruption.

Brent 06-23-2007 11:06 AM

Do you have any suggestions that do not require 3rd party apps like Disk Warrior?

dnanian 06-23-2007 11:12 AM

Well... you could try a full copy of your source to a clean destination using "Backup - all files" with "Erase, then copy" or "Smart Update". When you're satisfied with that, you can erase the original and copy back...

Brent 06-23-2007 12:06 PM

That sounds very straightforward. Thanks.

Erasing the original means just erasing the Mac HD (source). No need to erase the problem-free Sandbox.

Does the fact that I am using filevault introduce any complications to this fix?

dnanian 06-23-2007 12:09 PM

No more complications than normal: you should not make the copy while logged into the FileVault account. It might not be that straightforward, depending on the effect of the disk corruption...

Brent 06-23-2007 12:18 PM

Understood. I have read about much worse "goings on" with invalid node structures than what I am experiencing. I hope this means that I have nipped this one in the bud.

As always, you are unbelievably swift with your responses.

Most grateful Dave.

Brent 06-24-2007 08:48 AM

Did as you instructed (I think:o ). Ran disk utility and the directory issue is gone.

Tried to startup from Sandbox but got the following message:

You are unable to log in to the user account "***" at this time

So I made a new Sandbox and same thing. Can log into the MacIntosh HD without any problem. I tried checking "ignore ownership on this volume" on the Sandbox but still cannot log in.

Any idea why?

brent

PS One thing I should mention...when I had copied my external drive back to MacIntosh HD and checked to see that the directory issue was resolved, I immediately tried to restart from the Sandbox. When I could not log in, I used the Master Password option for Filevault and changed the login password. That did not change anything and could still not log in.

Funny thing is that my original password for filevault let me in to MacIntosh HD.

dnanian 06-24-2007 09:06 AM

Try doing an erase-then-copy of the Sandbox, Brent.

Brent 06-24-2007 09:06 AM

Yes. That is what I did.

dnanian 06-24-2007 09:08 AM

OK... it certainly should let you log in. Perhaps your Netinfo database is damaged in some way.

Try starting up from your OSX install disc and repairing your startup volume (both permissions and structure). Once done, recreate your Sandbox and see if that helps.

Brent 06-24-2007 09:16 AM

Repairing my startup volume means MacIntosh HD right?

dnanian 06-24-2007 09:19 AM

Yes, your normal startup drive, typically "Macintosh HD".

Brent 06-24-2007 10:20 AM

Repaired both structure (which was ok) and permissions which had a few issues.

Recreated Sandbox using "erase then copy" but I get the same message restricting access.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks - brent

dnanian 06-24-2007 10:21 AM

Drop me a message to support, and I'll give you some steps that might work.