Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Backup Failed (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882)

ae6dx 12-03-2005 06:11 PM

Backup Failed

Hello,
My backup failed in the middle of a smart update. The log is below. This was after Superdupe auto updated itself to a new version. From the log I gather it says no space, but the backup volume has plenty of space left and my hard drive is no bigger than when I last backed up. Please help.

Thanks,
Brad

| 11:05:46 AM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
| 11:05:46 AM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS2/Legal.localized/Ti?ng Viê?t.html, lstat(): 0
| 11:05:46 AM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/BACKUP#1/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS2/Legal.localized/Ti?ng Viê?t.html, lstat(): -1
| 11:05:46 AM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 11:05:46 AM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto.
| 11:05:46 AM | Info | Successfully copied file.
| 11:08:22 AM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
| 11:08:22 AM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Ti?ng Viê?t.html, lstat(): 0
| 11:08:22 AM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/BACKUP#1/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Ti?ng Viê?t.html, lstat(): -1
| 11:08:22 AM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 11:08:22 AM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto.
| 11:08:22 AM | Info | Successfully copied file.
| 11:37:35 AM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(28): No space left on device
| 11:37:35 AM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Applications/X-Plane 8.20/Resources/Earth nav data/-70+060/-68+061.env, lstat(): 0
| 11:37:35 AM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/BACKUP#1/Applications/X-Plane 8.20/Resources/Earth nav data/-70+060/-68+061.env, lstat(): 0
| 11:37:35 AM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 11:37:35 AM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto.
| 11:37:36 AM | Error | ditto: /Volumes/BACKUP#1/Applications/X-Plane 8.20/Resources/Earth nav data/-70+060/-68+061.env: No space left on device

dnanian 12-03-2005 07:33 PM

Brad -- you've already sent this via email and I've replied there. Let's continue the diagnosis in email, and when we're done you can post a summary here, OK?

poolmouse 01-14-2006 03:47 PM

blame adobe/apple...(url)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Brad -- you've already sent this via email and I've replied there. Let's continue the diagnosis in email, and when we're done you can post a summary here, OK?

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332657.html

poolmouse

dnanian 01-14-2006 04:15 PM

Well, no -- although that's what causes the two errors with the license agreement. The other problem -- which caused the actual stop/failure -- is a mite different!

Thanks for the pointer to the Adobe support case, though.

poolmouse 01-15-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Well, no -- although that's what causes the two errors with the license agreement. The other problem -- which caused the actual stop/failure -- is a mite different!

Thanks for the pointer to the Adobe support case, though.

the illegal character issue causes all sorts of issues, including disk read/write errors, "disk is full" errors, "unable to save" errors, etc. it's a nasty issue...probably the nastiest issue i've seen in quite some time.

poolmouse
(nyc sysadmin)

dnanian 01-15-2006 09:57 AM

That's really strange. We've tested against CS2 for exactly this reason -- to make sure we could copy this weird file -- and I haven't seen those kinds of problems. Maybe it's just luck.

poolmouse 01-15-2006 12:36 PM

how is test machine configured?

Quote:

That's really strange. We've tested against CS2 for exactly this reason -- to make sure we could copy this weird file -- and I haven't seen those kinds of problems. Maybe it's just luck.

is the machine being used for testing managed? does the test user have admin rights? no properly managed mac environment will have users logging in with admin rights (unless the mac "techs" are winging it). many of the issues we run into (our clients are prepress/graphics/design shops) can not be reproduced if you're logged in as an admin user. is the workstation managed (via workgroup manager)? the reason i ask is that our clients have been hit hard with issues only fixed with multiple runs of fsck and/or diskwarrior...after removing adobe cs2 Legal.localized folder(s). the issues can include "insufficient disk space" errors.

poolmouse
curmudgeon at large

dnanian 01-15-2006 12:41 PM

This is my own personal testbed, which is running with Admin rights, and is not a Workgroup Manager-based (or server-hosted) system.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that Apple and Adobe are in process on this. Perhaps fixed in 10.4.4?

poolmouse 01-15-2006 01:13 PM

apple hasn't acknowledged the bug yet...

and the problem still exists in 10.4.4. the person who found the problem reported it back in early december (bug#4369715). we've added the following entries into our logout script (see below).

poolmouse
curmudgeon at large

=== added these lines ===

if [ -e /Applications/Adobe\ Bridge ];
then
echo "Adobe Bridge exists."
rm -Rf /Applications/Adobe\ Bridge/Legal.localized/*
else
echo "Adobe Bridge does not exist."
fi

if [ -e /Applications/Adobe\ Creative\ Suite\ 2 ];
then
echo "Adobe Creative Suite 2 exists."
rm -Rf /Applications/Adobe\ Creative\ Suite\ 2/Legal/*
else
echo "Adobe Creative Suite 2 does not exist."
fi

if [ -e /Applications/Adobe\ Illustrator\ CS2 ];
then
echo "Adobe Illustrator CS2 exists."
rm -Rf /Applications/Adobe\ Illustrator\ CS2/Legal.localized/*
else
echo "Adobe Illustrator CS2 does not exist."
fi

if [ -e /Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CS2 ];
then
echo " Adobe InDesign CS2 exists."
rm -Rf /Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CS2/Legal/*
else
echo "Adobe InDesign CS2 does not exist."
fi

if [ -e /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS2 ];
then
echo "Adobe Photoshop CS2 exists."
rm -Rf /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS2/Legal.localized/*
else
echo "Adobe Photoshop CS2 does not exist."
fi

if [ -e /Applications/Adobe\ Version\ Cue\ CS2 ];
then
echo "Adobe Version Cue exists."
rm -Rf /Applications/Adobe\ Version\ Cue\Legal.localized/*
else
echo "Adobe Version Cue CS2 does not exist."
fi

=== end ===

dnanian 01-15-2006 01:17 PM

Ah, I assumed -- based on the "install the latest update" workaround -- that they'd fixed the problem. Hopefully this information will help others who are running into this problem!