Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cinema Display Glitch After Clone (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194)

rjj1234 01-12-2005 11:46 PM

Mail Crashing After Cloning

Completed my first clone from damaged Maxtor 160 SATA to a new Seagate 160 SATA. (Second Maxtor 160 SATA to fail!) Haven't tested all the apps but Firefox appears not to have survived the journey to the new drive. (Crashes every time when attempting startup.) Mail has become unstable and is crashing while simply composing email.

The Cinema Display for this G5 had been producing intense, full screen graphic artifacts each time it awoke from sleep but after running Disk Warrior, this no longer seems to happen. I repaired the permissions on this new drive and verified the drive with Disk Utiliy, run from the OS 10.3 sofware install DVD.

In spite of these small complaints, I love SuperDuper!

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

RJJ

rjj1234 01-13-2005 03:57 PM

More Applications Crashing

Having created this clone of my dying Maxtor 160 SATA onto my new Seagate SATA 160, Mail now displays itself as grayed-out and can't be accessed. Safari is crashing randomly. (As mentioned in first post Firefox crashes every time upon startup. Would it be better to start over and create a new safety clone and then "manually" copy appplications over from the bad drive to the new one or is there a better way to retain what I've already copied? Some of the applications seem to work without problems.

Thanks!

RJJ

dnanian 01-14-2005 10:00 PM

Hi -- since you also sent this information in through support, I've answered there. In summary, I think it sounds like you've got a hardware problem more than anything else, especially since you started with a drive that had bad data on it... let's continue this discussion through the support channels, and you can post a summary when we're done, if you'd like.

dnanian 01-15-2005 11:26 AM

(To follow up here, the problem was with a poorly seated memory DIMM.)

slboettcher 01-15-2005 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
(To follow up here, the problem was with a poorly seated memory DIMM.)

And SD can't fix that? Come on, Dave, it's time to update! LOL

SB

rjj1234 01-16-2005 10:59 PM

Random Crashing No More! (Mea Culpa!)

Besides Dave's extraordinary patience and graciousness, his tech skills are pretty damn impressive! At least one of the simms tested bad, as he suspected and whether it was bad before I took them out to see what brand they were - and may have not pushed one back in all the way - that was the cause of my grief on the new hard drive. Having removed the bad simm(s), I re-installed Safari and it's been crash free ever since and the new Seagate SATA drive is operating speedily, smoothly and silently. Looking forward to getting another Seagate and using SuperDuper! for regular backup! This is by far the best tech support I've ever experienced and would recommend SuperDuper! to all my friends who use Macs.

dnanian 01-16-2005 11:55 PM

Thanks, rjj1234! Happy to be able to help.