Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can't boot from clone drive (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5596)

MadCityGeoff 08-28-2009 10:18 AM

Can't boot from clone drive

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to create a bootable clone of my Macintosh HD drive without success. My computer is a recent Mac Pro running Leopard and the external drive I want to use for backup is a recent 1 TB G-Drive. The G-Drive is formatted as GUID and divided into two partitions, one that I'm using for Time Machine and one that I want to use for cloning my internal hard drive.

I ran Superduper with the erase and copy option. When it was done, I checked the external drive and saw all the expected directories. I rebooted and held down the Option key. The G-Drive partition showed up in the list of available boot volumes. I selected it and I got the gray screen with the Apple logo. Then the system locked up and I had to hit the power button.

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

Also, FWIW, after doing the backup and booting onto the Mac HD, I noticed that the G-Drive runs almost continuously for about 15 minutes.

Thanks!

dnanian 08-28-2009 10:42 AM

The "continuous running" is likely due to Spotlight updating the drive; try running the new v2.6 to see if it works better for you.

MadCityGeoff 08-28-2009 02:44 PM

Thanks for clearing up the issue with the drive activity. I download SD 2.6 and made another backup using the "erase and copy" option. The results are the same. When I restart I see the screen with the boot volume that SD created on the G-Drive. I select that volume and the system hangs at the Apple logo screen. Any ideas?

dnanian 08-28-2009 02:46 PM

How long have you left it at the logo screen? Have you tried naming the backup drive the same as the source? Perhaps booting with Cmd+v held down to see if the verbose logging tells you anything about what's failing?

MadCityGeoff 08-28-2009 04:04 PM

I tried renaming the backup drive "Macintosh HD"like the source (it shows up as "Macintosh HD 1" on the boot screen) and got the same results. I let it sit at the Apple logo screen for about five minutes. I tried Cmd-V (at least I assume that Cmd is the key with the little four-leaf clover thingy; I'm new to the Mac world) but I didn't see any output.

dnanian 08-28-2009 04:05 PM

OK. Whatever this is, it seems rather specific to your Mac, so let's move to email support (send email to, well, support) and we'll continue there.

JBRJBR 10-19-2009 11:15 AM

Having the same issue...

I'm having the same issue when attempting to backup from a SD cloned Firewire HD with the system hanging during the reboot process with the spinning wheel. Were you able to resolve this and if so what was the fix? Thanks!