Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Major Quicktime Problems Sandbox (short version) no Help:( (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337)

greenjeens 06-04-2006 11:51 AM

Major Quicktime Problems Sandbox (short version) no Help:(

When I read the Sandbox instructions, (I interpreted) all the important Mac Applications that would require reinstalling the Panther discs would be copied in full so I could try the updates in my shared settings and still save space, using the shorter Sanbox version. Well...

I updated Quicktime and it broke my Toast to iTunes playlist burning. After finally figuring out Quicktime 7.1.1 was the problem and having to start from my installation discs and update EVERYTHING all over agin just to get an earlier Quicktime version... I realized this is exactly what Sandbox was designed to prevent from happening.
So, I created a sandbox to test which updates Quicktime downgrades and Toast updates would work together. I chose the Quicker Sandbox copy, seeing how Quicktime fit the bill of an Special Apple Application that is a nightmare to downgrade.

Only to find after a half hour of creating a short version Sandbox, that Quicktime was not included as an Apple staple applications, and I should have selected ALL the applications to duplicate.

Maybe I missed something, or don't understand Quicktime rules, but I don't remember seeing any reason to think Quicktime would be considered a 3rd party application, and not be included with the other apple apps?

If it's not technically possible to keep Quicktime with the Apple Applications, a notice that it is not included with all the other apple apps would be handy for those setting Sandbox up for the first time. Especially with all the Quicktime problems!

Thanks,
why does it allways seem I learn most by making mistakes?

dnanian 06-04-2006 11:55 AM

I'm not sure what you mean, greenjeens. QuickTime is considered an Apple app and is copied, not shared, so you should be able to update it on the Sandbox...

greenjeens 06-04-2006 02:10 PM

I only have an alias of Quicktime in my Sandbox application folder, an empty white page of Quicktime (original can't be found). Where I get a Safari, Mail Imovie icon etc that the app from the Sandbox.

Hummm....
Does it matter if I renamed it "Quicktime6.5app" ?

It only seemed to copy one alias of Quicktime. I had a couple of versions that I was playing with. So I gave one another name I could see.
What should happen in sandbox if there are two Quicktimes?

dnanian 06-04-2006 03:11 PM

Yes, that would definitely matter: we go by its normal name, and can't tell if you rename it... but two Quicktimes likely won't matter. When you get back to your "real" volume (the source of the Sandbox), you should only have one.

You are running from the Sandbox, right?

greenjeens 06-10-2006 09:43 PM

Thanks, I'll try again with the original name. I'm sorry for the rudimentary questions and errors. Trying to do the best I can, but there are some major gaps in my knowledge base when trying to take on EVERYTHING at once.

If you say QT is an included Apple App with the abbreviated Sandbox menu selection, then it's at least narrowed to some error on my part. Seems like I goof up the first time with each Super Duper component attempt, and need to play with it awhile. I'll make sure to run from the Sandbox Drive and then get back.
-
Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Yes, that would definitely matter: we go by its normal name, and can't tell if you rename it... but two Quicktimes likely won't matter. When you get back to your "real" volume (the source of the Sandbox), you should only have one.

You are running from the Sandbox, right?

dnanian 06-10-2006 10:33 PM

Running frm the Sandbox is definitely a critical part of the Sandbox. If you're not running from it, it's not going to help...