Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leopard backup boots, but apps crash? Try this. (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3613)

dnanian 06-19-2008 07:57 AM

Instead, open Terminal and run:

Code:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Clerkhaw 06-19-2008 08:01 AM

Didn't work too...

Any other ideias?

Thx!

dnanian 06-19-2008 08:27 AM

What part didn't work? The applications shouldn't really work in one account and not another... perhaps you could provide me with a crash log for one of them? Send it to the support email address and we'll work through this issue there -- it doesn't seem to have anything to do with prebinding, and sounds more likely to be something loading into your applications (like a hack) that isn't working.

Clerkhaw 06-19-2008 09:03 AM

Well.. nothing worked insted of creating a new account. I'll send crash reports on support mail then.

I don't think it is any kind of crack since I'm with problems with Disk Utility, Safari, Activity Monitor, Terminal, and so on...

Photoshop runs well...
The process crashed is always launchd too.

Well, I'll send you an email.

Thanks for your time and patience.

dnanian 06-19-2008 10:20 AM

Not a crack, but rather a hack/haxie, input manager, or something similar.

sgmiller 07-05-2008 05:19 AM

This was a bit scary

I upgraded to Leopard the other day and never thought to check my new clones. I had another reason to boot from the clone yesterday and found I had the problem with apps crashing which was fixed by the script as advised.
However, I found the whole experience a bit unnerving. Yes, I realize I should have checked the new clones after upgrading but, on the other hand, had I been in an emergency situation, I don't think I would have found that argument completely persuasive. I consider this to have been a situation requiring an emergency "patch" of some kind and, in that sense, I think some kind of notice should have been broadcast to users. Is it not possible to use the Update facility in some way for that?

dnanian 07-05-2008 08:23 AM

Not for something like this, no. It doesn't happen to all users, and it's relatively easy to 'fix' after the fact, so I didn't feel that rushing out a version that didn't address all the issues was appropriate... sorry that you found it scary!

sgmiller 07-05-2008 08:30 AM

By "after the fact", do you mean it would have been possible to apply to apply the script to a clone which was not working properly? If so, than I overestimated the problem and please disregard.

If not, and the user would have been left with a defective backup, then I stick with my original position. Even if it only impact a few users, the consequences for those users could have been catastrophic.

So, either I apologize or I don't. :) :(

dnanian 07-05-2008 08:46 AM

The script does run after the backup, actually, and what it does can be done to the backup without the script (in many different ways): the files themselves are all there, and fine.

sgmiller 07-05-2008 08:59 AM

I didn't realize it was possible to run the "fix" script after the backup had already been made, so I guess I am forced to apologize. :eek:

dnanian 07-05-2008 09:08 AM

No apology whatsoever necessary!

sgmiller 07-06-2008 04:27 AM

New problem

However, I now seem to be having a new problem which is after running the script, Super Duper will not shut down the computer properly. I get a message saying that I couldn't be logged out because Super Duper wouldn't close.

dnanian 07-06-2008 07:43 AM

I don't think that has anything to do with the script, which is done well before the request to shut down.

ehofmeister 09-21-2008 06:20 PM

I have a few questions - the first is in relation to this thread:

I have a bootable backup of my main HD that I successfully applied your script to as you have described here. Now I want to erase my main HD and restore the backup. Is it necessary to apply the script again - I use superduper to restore the drive using the "restore all" option - do I have to execute the script again after the restore has finished?

On a different note I would like to know if there are any reliability issues if you want to maintain two (or more) separate backups on two (or more) separate partitions on the same external HD? I know you don't recommend using images for critical backups, but they are very handy when you want multiple backups on the same HD. The only other way I can think of is to partition the drive up in 2 or 3 partitions in order to keep 2 or 3 separate backups. Is this an ok strategy?

The last thing I would like to hear about is the Intego VirusBarrier X5 issues that have cropped up lately - are they still around? Are you planning on an update to fix them in the near future or what is going to happen? If they mean that you cannot perform a backup with X5 installed it is pretty critical.

Thanks

dnanian 09-21-2008 07:31 PM

Yes, you should use the script on the restore the same way.

Maintaining separate backups on separate partitions is no problem. The issue is that if you lose the drive you lose all the backups -- it's better to have some physical redundancy.

The Intego problem is something for Intego to fix, as I've said elsewhere -- and I know they're working on it. If you turn off Real Time Scanning, the backup will be successful.