Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Booting to Maxtor One Touch (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5099)

mrdon 03-12-2009 01:34 PM

Booting to Maxtor One Touch

I did a Full backup to my Maxtor One Touch and have installed a new HD in my Powerbook G4. Upon booting up, I hold down the options key and when the boot screen comes up, I only see the Maxtor OneTouch and not my newly installed HD. So I click the arrow to boot from the Maxtor and I see the screen come up with the Apple on it and the circular icon spinning round and round, then it restarts itself and goes through the same process.

Any idea's on what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Brandon

dnanian 03-12-2009 02:30 PM

Hm. Sounds like the One Touch might not be boot compatible with your Power PC based Mac. Is this a OneTouch iV?

mrdon 03-12-2009 02:37 PM

It says "4 Plus"

Thanks,
Brandon

dnanian 03-12-2009 02:39 PM

OK. I haven't tested the OneTouch 4, but it's quite possible it's not boot compatible with Power PC macs. Frustrating to have another one.

I'd suggest clean installing (Leopard?) to the new drive. When prompted to "Copy from another Mac", point it at the OneTouch's volume. It'll bring in your applications and data.

mrdon 03-12-2009 02:41 PM

I was worried you'd say that...as I don't have any OS disks.

Thanks,
Brandon

dnanian 03-12-2009 02:41 PM

How did you get the OS installed in the first place? You don't have those discs?

mrdon 03-12-2009 02:43 PM

I bought the Powerbook used and it didn't come w/ any disks.

dnanian 03-12-2009 02:46 PM

Well, I'm not quite sure what to suggest: you should really have OS install discs. I'd put the old drive back in and once you've done that we can try to get some information about it and its partition scheme. Once the old drive is reinstalled, drop me some email to support and we'll go from there.

mrdon 03-12-2009 03:29 PM

I actually made some progress. I have another computer (MacBook) so I installed SD on it and connected the OneTouch to it. Then I was able to connect my new hard drive to the MacBook, with a IDE to USB adapter that I have. I formatted the new HD using "Disk Utility" (Partitioned as "Apple Partition Map" then Formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Then I used SD to do a Full backup of the OneTouch to the new HD.

I put the new HD in my Powerbook and it recognizes it and tries to boot from it, but I just see the Apple icon and the little circle spinning, then the machine reboots.

Is there anything that you spot here that I may have done wrong?

Thanks,
Brandon

dnanian 03-12-2009 03:33 PM

Have you tried booting in "Safe Boot"? That is, hold down Shift while powering on, all the way to the desktop...

mrdon 03-12-2009 03:42 PM

Just tried and it does exactly the same thing. I then booted in verbose mode and the last thing I could see before it spit out a ton of info then immediately restarted was:

Syncing disks...killing all processes
continuing

IOATAController Device Blocking Bus

Thanks,
Brandon

dnanian 03-12-2009 03:45 PM

That doesn't look good. Perhaps the new drive hardware is miscabled, misjumpered or improperly installed?