Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   backup w/o being logged in? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2932)

nanograss 09-28-2007 03:32 AM

backup w/o being logged in?

Purchased SuperDuper! a few weeks ago and I am nothing but happy.

My only complaint is that SD! has to be logged in for the scheduled backups to work... I have been using it to back up the small office file server, but it will only run if that machine is logged in. Sometimes the machine that's running as the server isn't logged in, so we don't get a backup for that day.

Is there any way around this? ...Or are there plans in the next version to allow scheduled backups to run without anyone being logged in?

Thanks!

dnanian 09-28-2007 08:10 AM

Well, if you enable the root user and schedule as that, we'll run when you're not logged in -- but I don't generally think that's a great thing to do.

We're considering "daemon" support for the future.

Thanks for your registration!

audioeng 10-01-2007 01:29 PM

At the risk of being redundant (I posted a similar reply once before), this is my number one request for the next version of SuperDuper!. Being able to run a scheduled backup when not logged in or when the screen is locked is important for security reasons. I have many drives and performing manual backups is time consuming. I would prefer to schedule them to run at night and not have to have to be logged in to my system or disable sleep. Thanks.

syndicatedragon 10-01-2007 08:45 PM

I agree! This is a much needed feature, especially for multi-user machines.

donnylim 10-22-2007 07:19 PM

Sparseimages

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14347)
Well, if you enable the root user and schedule as that, we'll run when you're not logged in -- but I don't generally think that's a great thing to do.

I've gotten this to work, and up until about 2 weeks ago everything worked like a charm, except for the occasional "failed to mount drive" error. But, I recently ran out of room on my 120 GB external drive. I was backing up 2 internal drives, one of which contained 2 partitions. So, I created 3 partitions on my external to make it simple to backup. The problem with that was, I had to guess at the size of each partition, (considering "room to grow"). Anyway, long story short, I realized now I should have used the "sparseimage" feature which allows dynamic growth and only uses up actual disk spaced used in the sources. So here's my problem now: running the scheduled backups from "root" will not mount the sparseimages. I've tried all that I know to get them to mount (running separate shell script before SD runs, running shell script within SD before the copying begins, etc). Anyone know how to get sparseimages to mount when no one is logged in? If I can figure this out, I believe SD schedules will work again under "root".

dnanian 10-22-2007 07:24 PM

Do you get an error, Donny? In general, I think you should try to write directly to a drive, rather than use sparse images, if you can...

donnylim 10-29-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14787)
Do you get an error, Donny? In general, I think you should try to write directly to a drive, rather than use sparse images, if you can...

Yes, I did get an error, the text below is from the log:

| 03:40:30 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Mounting Donny's_G4_BkUp
| 03:40:30 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preparing Donny's_G4_BkUp
| 03:40:31 PM | Info | hdiutil: create failed - No such file or directory
| 03:40:31 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=0 (Unknown error: 0)

If I am actually logged into my root account, backing up to the sparseimage works fine. It's just, when no is logged in the scheduled SD script doesn't work. I have even tried creating a shell script to run right before the scheduled SD script that is supposed to mount the designated sparse image, but, for some reason, the shell script won't work either, (unless I'm logged in as root, then it will work fine). I put the shell script in my top level Library:StartupItems folder, which is where I believe it's supposed to go. Oh well, any ideas?

Now, I do have to ask, why shouldn't I use sparse images? It is one of the save to options.

dnanian 10-29-2007 09:48 AM

Well -- it looks like your external drive (or whatever you're using) isn't mounted when you're not logged in, so the image isn't working.

The reason to not use images if you don't have to is simple: they're more indirect, can't be booted from, and are inherently more fragile.

donnylim 10-29-2007 12:20 PM

I don't think the drive mounting is the real issue as much as SD isn't mounting the sparse image. Here's why I think that. Since all this started a couple weeks ago, I've been trying several different scenarios to get my daily backups going again. The one that I got to work, is to avoid backing up 1 of the two internal drives and simply use the entire external drive to backup the main internal drive (not using a sparseimage, but the entire disk) This works with no one logged in! So it's obvious the drive is mounting, even when no one is logged in. Problem is, I'm not getting to back up my other internal drive anymore (though it's not the main drive, it still gets used). So my real question is, if utilizing the sparseimage method, why does SD not "mount" the disk? BTW, I can tell the disk really is mounted even under this scenario as I can log onto this mac via FTP using my MacBook and see that it is mounted. Why doesn't SD recognize it?

dnanian 10-29-2007 01:08 PM

No, that's not the case. It's trying to mount the image, which isn't where it's supposed to be. So, we try to create a new image at that location, and the folder doesn't exist...