Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Log Files (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3745)

legaltocarry 02-27-2008 09:21 PM

Log Files

Hi! I have noticed something that appears odd. On my Leopard install if I open SD, click on schedule, cancel the window showing dates and times, which reveals the scheduled copies window, then click on show log, it shows correctly that it ran yesterday, but if I go back to the main SD window and select window>show log from the menu bar it says the date was about a week ago. This log file says it was completed successfully. What am I missing?

If I do this on my Tiger install just the opposite is true and the correct run is in the menu and the one from the schedule window is bad. The menu bar says I ran it this morning which I did but the log in the schedule window says it was 2 days ago and the schedule window says the last copy was 2 days ago when I am 100% sure I ran it this morning.

I can't figure out how to put trust in whether it is successfully updating when I get 2-3 different reports.

By the way it was Maximice that was hanging SD on the Tiger install but I got a license for it and hopefully it will run at 2:30 in the morning so I'll know if that fixed the auto run part.
Thanks, Tom

dnanian 02-27-2008 09:31 PM

Each group of settings (main window, schedules, other saved settings) has its own set of logs. The one in the main window is for the last time you ran manually.

legaltocarry 02-27-2008 10:00 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your time to work these boards. Tom

broogle 04-06-2008 01:40 PM

Dave - Is there any way to get to the "other saved settings" log files though the UI? I can dig down and open contents to get to
~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Saed Settings/<settingsfile>/Logs
but that is a pain.

dnanian 04-06-2008 01:57 PM

Sure. Load the settings, then show log. You can open other logs for those settings: just cmd+click on the title bar of one, and select "Logs".

broogle 04-07-2008 07:25 PM

Unless I am missing something, this let's me look at older log files for the main window, but what I want to do is look at log files for backups run from a saved setting, not from the the main window, and not a scheduled backup. I run SuperDuper! by a timed AppleScript, specifying the settings file to use, and to check the log I have to dig into the contents of the settings file. I was hoping there was a way around this.

dnanian 04-07-2008 09:55 PM

Then load the saved settings, and then do the "Show Log"... the logs are specific to the settings loaded.

broogle 04-08-2008 05:03 AM

Aha! That does it - thanks. Since my AppleScript automatically dismounts the backup drive when SuperDuper is done, when I run SD to check the log it complains the backup drive is unavailable and defaults back to the "main window" settings. It did not occur to me that SD would then accept the settings file if I loaded it manually (and it still rightly complains about the missing drive).