Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Missing hidden ('.*') files (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417)

terrence 06-02-2005 08:01 AM

Missing hidden ('.*') files

Hi,

I used SuperDuper 'Backup All' to backup my entire disk to an external firewire disk. The backup seems fine, but it appear like some of the hidden UNIX files start with '.' are missing, in particular the .cshrc file in my /Users/<user> home directory.

I did a sudo find . -name '.cshrc' on the entire backup but found nothing!

So: What happended to the .cshrc file?

Thanks,

-- Terrence

Ti PowerBook 867 Mhz with 10.3.9

dnanian 06-02-2005 08:05 AM

I've never heard of a case where we didn't copy a file, Terrence: we don't treat dot-hidden files any differently than any other (though the globbing-match rules for scripts are a bit different, as you might expect).

Are you certain you did "Backup - all files" and the file was there on the original?

If you could send a copy of your SuperDuper!.log (in ~/Library/Logs) to support, I'll take a look and see if I can find anything unusual in there. An ls -la of your home on the original and the backup would help, too.

Thanks!

terrence 06-02-2005 08:17 AM

Wow, thanks for the *fast* reply!

Anyway, it appears the problem is an OSI level 8 error (aka "user error" ;-). I mixed up the backups ...

I did a full SuperDuper backup of my disk before wiping it and reinstalling the OS. After reinstalling, I did a Finder drag & drop copy from the SuperDuper backup to my new installation. Of course, the Finder copy didn't copy the hidden files. *Then* I did a second backup and that was the one I was initially looking at. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, now that I have been using my home directory for a week after the drag & drop copy I realize I should have done a SuperDuper restore to restore all my files from the backup. But at this point, what else to I need besides also copying the hidden files to make sure my new home directory is complete compared to the backup?

Thanks,

-- Terrence

and was looking at the backup I did *after* reinstalling the entire OS and copying my home dir from the SuperDuper a

dnanian 06-02-2005 08:41 AM

Good to hear, Terrence. We'd never heard of anything like this, and I certainly didn't want you to be the first.

It's really hard to know what might be missing from a Finder copy, unfortunately. Though the hidden files in the subfolders should be there because you're copying the folder, not "selected files" (if you understand what I mean)... In your Home you explicitly selected files, which didn't include hidden ones, but a folder contains everything in it.

terrence 06-02-2005 08:51 AM

Yes, I think I did copy selected subfolders of my home directory, *not* the entire home directory. That would explain what at least the top-level hidden files are missing.

One final question: Does a finder drag & drop copy of a folder copy stuff like links in the folder too, or really only files?

Thanks again for the quick help! I love the product so far.

-- Terrence

dnanian 06-02-2005 08:57 AM

A drag and drop copy should copy everything in the folder, links and all. It might change some data like mod time and other things, but it should copy everything in there.