PDA

View Full Version : How to secure the backup files?

macgenie
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I am finally at that point where I have a plan and the hardware to have an offsite backup. One thing that has always bothered me about having a clone on a separate portable drive is the possibility of losing that drive. Is there a good method for making the drive's contents inaccessible unless you have a password?

dnanian
08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
At present, not while maintaining direct bootability (although, of course, the files on your Mac are typically equally accessible).

You can use FileVault/VileFault, but that will make backing up more difficult, since you can't do so while logged into the FV account.

You could use an encrypted disk image (which you'd have to create yourself) as a destination, but then restoration is more difficult.

When we support it, you'll be able to use PGPWDE10 (we already support PGPWDE09).

The question is, though - is full encryption something you need? Your keychain is secure, and you can store 'sensitive' documents in something like Knox...

macgenie
08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Good to know. I am not typically very good at housekeeping that requires me to make decisions (is this "sensitive" or not?) and wish it was easier to just lock the whole thing. I do have Knox but haven't used it yet, so I'll take this as a nudge to do so. :-)

dnanian
08-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Just remember to put away any encrypted volumes before backing up...