PDA

View Full Version : "failed to schedule automatic copy"


Dan Lester
03-14-2010, 01:09 PM
OK, got that message. Here's the background. Just migrated from a Yikes 10.3.9 to an iMac 10.6.2. Yay! Upgraded to SD 2.6.2.

When I tried to schedule a backup with SD, as I've done for MANY years, I got that schedule failure message. Yes, my drives have names without non-alphanumeric characters, and I used Onyx to rebuild LaunchServices. Still no joy.

But then I logged in as Administrator (my previous machine just had me with Administrator privileges), and it worked! I scheduled the backup easily. Success!

So being curious, I went back to my personal account without Administrator privileges, and tried to schedule a backup. It still wouldn't let me do it.

So I think I'm good to go, but I don't recall ever seeing that you had to be Administrator to schedule backups. Nothing like that in the manual as far as I can see. I can do a non-scheduled backup without being Administrator. Why can't I schedule backups that way? If that's the case that you have to have administrator privileges to do it, there's probably a good reason for it. Maybe to avoid having SuperDuper being scheduled to do different things with a given drive at the same time by different users?

dnanian
03-14-2010, 01:10 PM
You shouldn't need to be an admin to schedule copies. Please drop me an email to support, Dan...

Dan Lester
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Just a followup on this. Dave very kindly gave me some suggestions over e-mail on this. The final answer, on the basis on console error messages I sent him, was just to trash the downloaded copy of SuperDuper, redownload, and reboot. Did that, and everything now works fine. I don't have to be in the Administrator account to schedule copies. Somehow, I guess the version I downloaded got corrupted. Odd that I was actually able to schedule the download as Administrator with this corrupted copy at all!

dnanian
03-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Actually, it wasn't so much the download that was corrupt: the program itself was fine. Somehow, though, the scripting dictionary that was cached was damaged (who knows why).

Deleting the program, restarting and redownloading forced that to be re-cached, which resolved the issue.

Glad I could help, Dan.