PDA

View Full Version : Used Restore function instead of Backup

johnnyb
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
hi dave,

I have a full bootable SD backup on an external firewire drive and had problems with permission and directory repairs with disk warrior on my internal boot drive, so I decided to copy all files over from the external to my bootdrive.
I booted up from my second internal drive (basic OS X installed) and used SD to copy the files.
I however used Restore all files instead of Backup all files (I donīt have time machine).

Is this a problem?

I am using Leopard 10.5.7, should I run the prebinding skript as a prophylactic measure?

thanks

chris_johnsen
06-10-2009, 02:38 AM
The only difference between "Backup - all files" and "Restore - all files" is that any Time Machine backup folder on the source is not selected for copying (and thus any Time Machine backup folder on the destination is erased).
Your restored copy should be fine.

As far as prebinding, I do not know if 10.5.7 fixes the issue (I vaguely remember someone saying that it did not). It can't really hurt though. At worst (if it was not required, but you did it anyway) you will just extend your machine's downtime by the amount of time it takes to redo the prebinding (not too long, I think).

dnanian
06-10-2009, 05:57 AM
Note, too, that starting up from the new Mac in "Safe Boot" (one time) will also redo the prebinding, so you don't have to run the script as such.

johnnyb
06-10-2009, 07:03 AM
thanks both for your answers..

mabey a suggestion: The pdf help file that comes with SD could use an entry explaining the difference between restore and backup. Now I know it doesnīt matter if you donīt have time machine, but itīs a bit confusing and the logical choice would always seem to be restore.

thx