PDA

View Full Version : Cannot drag drives in Disk Utility Restore window

Kashkin
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a sparse image backup on an external USB drive and would like to restore to a new HD in my macbook. I have booted from the OS X install disk and partitioned the new drive. When I select the new drive and click the restore tab, it says to "drag a disk" for a source and destination. (Since I am restoring from a sparse image, I already opened the image so it appears on the left, below the other drives.) The problem is that I am unable to drag anything with the cursor. When I try to drag any drive, it only highlights all the drives the cursor is moved over.

Any ideas? It does this whether I'm using the trackpad or a mouse.

dnanian
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
This is an Intel Mac with a 10.4.x DVD? It's due to a bug in the Disk utility version on the DVD. Search for "Intel DVD" in the Shirt Pocket blog and you'll find a workaround in the comments.

johnnyfive
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
This is an Intel Mac with a 10.4.x DVD? It's due to a bug in the Disk utility version on the DVD. Search for "Intel DVD" in the Shirt Pocket blog and you'll find a workaround in the comments.
Hi, I'm having the same problem, so I tried searching the blog (using it's advanced search feature) for "intel dvd" but it didn't return any results. could you post a link, by chance?

EDIT: sorry! found it using the regular search! cheers :)

dnanian
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah, in case you're having problems (shouldn't be hard to find):

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comments/intel_mac_dvd_disk_utility_problems/

Kashkin
03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
So, short of finding some more detailed instructions on using the ASR in Terminal, I have to get a FW drive!?

Thank you all for the prompt and helpful replies.

dnanian
03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Or a fixed Tiger disc from Apple (I believe the 10.4.11 discs are corrected).