View Full Version : Applying Software Updates to bootable external firewire

06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Let me first say Superduper is OUTSTANDING!
I switched to an Intel iMac 24 about a year ago after 20 years of DOS/Windoze agony and haven't looked back.
Superduper was my second SW purchase for OS X (right after Disk Warrior ;)

Anyway, I'll get to the question now ;)

I backup my Intel iMac, OS X ver. 10.4.9, to an external firewire 800 (500GB-3 equally sized bootable volumes).

Works great!

Two of the volumes on the external FW800 are full, bootable, rotated backups of my everyday, stable 10.4.9 installation. I had some "issues" with OS X ver. 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 and I prefer to stay on this "incarnation" of OS X.

When running day-to-day on the internal drive, I just quit software update when it tells me there are application updates available UNLESS I'm positive they are OK for installation on 10.4.9 systems.

The third volume on the external FW800 is a backup of a fully updated OS X ver. 10.4.11 with all software updates UP TO A CERTAIN DATE.

There are some new updates that show up as available when I'm booted to that more current 10.4.11 volume that I would like to apply (to have a FULLY up-to-date bootable image available).

My question, finally, is:

While booted to the up-to-date, 10.4.11 volume on the external FW800, can I just let software update go ahead and update with any new updates?

I'm pretty sure there would be no problem as long as there is no "restart/reboot required" flag.

However, if there IS a restart/reboot flag on an item to update, how do I handle it?

Do I carefully wait for the restart and make sure I activate the Startup Manager by holding down the "option" key and selecting the appropriate bootable volume when necessary (I'm assuming that will be possible)?

My guess is that if I DIDN'T do that, and let it reboot to the default internal boot drive, that I might possibly have some serious problems! ;)

I don't know. I'm just trying to think ahead and look before I leap.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this and again, Superduper rulZ!!!


06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Shouldn't be s problem, restart or no.