PDA

View Full Version : Intel Macs and Windoze

patrickm
01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Probably in the next couple of weeks I intend on getting an iMac. I do plan to run windoze (I'm not sure why. Just because I can, I guess). I don't know much about it but I understand that when installing windoze, a separate partition is made. Will the new SuperDuper back that up also or will there be some sort of selection we have to make to backup or not? I really don't care if it gets backed up but it is technically on the same drive (I won't have anything important to backup in Windoze).
I'm strictly a Mac man and windoze is something to play with. My wife uses Windoze and I've seen Windoze on an intel mac and it screams. Maybe I can convince her to get 2 intel's when she sees how fast it is.

dnanian
01-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Instead, I'd encourage you to get VMWare or Parallels, and install Windows in a virtual volume, stored on your regular drive...

davebarnes
01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Patrick,

I have VMware's Fusion on one iMac and Parallels on another.
Both work really well.
Both run Windows XP and Windows 2000 at 95% of the speed of using BootCamp.

I would recommend either.

,dave

patrickm
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Question still remains. Will windows get backed up using VMWare, Parallels or Bootcamp?

dnanian
01-22-2008, 09:46 PM
It will not back up BootCamp. It will back up the files on your regular HFS+ drive, such as images used by VMWare and Parallels.

patrickm
01-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Excellent. That's what I wanted to hear. Less to worry about and less disk space used. I plan to use an external fw drive for my SuperDuper backups.
SUPERDUPER is awesome!!!