PDA

View Full Version : Very similar question to Mr. Coffee's: multiple back-ups

RHPC
05-02-2005, 01:57 PM
We have a small ethernet LAN at home: w/an Igloo G4, a AlPB G4 and a somewhat older G4 Tower (digital audio, I think). Alll presently running Panther.

I'm hoping to devise an easy back-up system similar, if not identical to Mr. Coffee's, posted below.

Alternatives (as near as I can tell) not yet purchased:

1 large external HD, w/partitions, attached to the Igloo, requiring back-up of the two other Macs via the ethernet (I'm not worring about speed, particularly). Each Mac is partitioned with either 3 or 4 volumes.

2d alternative would have a separate ext HD for each Mac, directly connected, respectively.

Query: will SuperDuper make a perfect copy of each Mac's via either alternative arrangement, or is the ethernet "a problem". Will "bootabiliity" only result from copying to a directly connected drive, or can that feature be accomplished over the LAN.

I'm pretty naive about all this, as you can see.

Thanks for any/all informed opinions

dnanian
05-02-2005, 02:45 PM
SuperDuper! cannot write 'directly' to a network drive. As such, you'd need to use a "Sparse Image" as explained in the FAQ. While the result is something that's bootable once restored, it's *not* bootable as an image.

As such, you're much better off with the 2nd alternative... it'll be faster, more reliable (due to the complexity involved in a network connection) and allow direct boot.

Make sure you get a FireWire drive that support Macintosh boot. Many do not: LaCie, OWC, WiebeTech and Maxtor (OneTouch II) definitely do. No USB devices do. So, be aware and careful!

RHPC
05-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Dave.

Keeping it Simple Ain't Always so Simple.

I really appreciate the "clarification" from someone who knows.

Disappoiintingly, OWC's minion asserted, without hestiation, that both CCC and SuperDuper would work over our network. I had my suspicions. :(

No more. :)

dnanian
05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Well, they *do* work over the network, but not in the way you want!

Glad to help.