PDA

View Full Version : slow backup

migo
09-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi,

is 20 minutes for a "smart" backup normal time? some nights even if I didn't do anything that day it still takes about 20 (sometimes more) to backup. I can see that it gets stock at a certain point for most of the time and then gives a sprint and finishes the backup. when it seems like it's halting the HD is making a lot of noise.
I am using iMac with 230 gig and using about 100 gigs.

thanks

mic

chris_johnsen
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Even if nothing has changed SD still has to scan and compare all the files on the disk to make sure the backup is identical, so it will always take some minimum time. My backup (old iBook G4, ~37GB used space, smart backup to a USB drive) takes a minimum of about 30 minutes.

dnanian
09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
During that pause, it's likely copying a file. Do you have an iDisk, or are you using FileVault or Entourage?

migo
09-04-2007, 05:41 AM
i am not using iDisk, FileVault or Entourage. if it's copying a file that's about a 10 minutes copy.

dnanian
09-04-2007, 09:14 AM
What about Parallels, VMWare or the like? Indeed, it's a large file, whatever it is.

If you drop me a line to the support email address, I'll provide you with a command that'll show what it's copying at any given time, and you can run that when it seems "stuck" to see what the file is...