PDA

View Full Version : Unable to ignore specified folder on destination

spiff123
08-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi,

I have an external firewire drive that I use to back up my G5's documents volume (source). I would like to create a folder on the backup drive (target) that will be ignored during a Smart Update but am having no luck.

I've added an IgnoreFolder Script Command to a copy of "Backup - all files.dset" and selected a folder I created on the target name "IgnoreFolder" however the folder is deleted during an update since it doesn't exist on the source. I've also tried creating an empty "IgnoreFolder" on the source but then the contents of the "IgnoreFolder" on the target is deleted.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dnanian
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
You can't really do this, spiff123. There's only one way to get SD! to ignore a folder on the destination -- you'd have to create a symlink to that folder from the source: we won't replace a folder on the destination with a link to that folder on the source.

Otherwise, you should really create a partition for your backup, and not mix your "backup" and your "data" on the same volume...

spiff123
08-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for your quick response, Dave. Unfortunately my backup drive is already partitioned (apps and documents) and rather than reformatting it in order to create a third partition I was hoping that I could ignore a particular folder. I guess one day when I have the time (and nerve) I'll reformat. Thanks again.

dnanian
08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
You could also use iPartition to repartition the drive "live"...

spiff123
08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks, Dave. I'll check it out.