PDA

View Full Version : Epson Printer Drivers problems

t3rockhall
08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Here's my situation. I travel between 2 houses, and have a G5 iMac at both places. So, before I leave one house (either one) I back up to a LaCie Firewire drive and pack it up to bring "home". When I get there, I use the LaCie to bring that HD up to date when I return. In essence, I have 3 hard drives which I keep identical via SuperDuper.

This works well, and once I bring a HD up-to-date I can use it normally, knowing that my email, checkbooks and bookmarks will be saved to update the "other" iMac.

But here's my problem -- at house 1 I have a HP laser printer and an Epson CX4600 printer. At house 2, I have an Epson C64 printer. The Epson drivers seem to vanish when I go from house to house and I end up having to reinstall the drivers, because they "can't be found." No problem with the HP, though.

This seems to be some issue with SuperDuper, but I can't figure it out.

It's a nuisance for sure, and takes a while to reinstall the drivers! Any suggestions?

Epson says just go to Printer Setup Utility (which I have done, of course) and "ADD" but I just get a message that there's no driver.

dnanian
08-13-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't know what this could be, t3rockhall: we're certainly copying the files, but perhaps the Epson drivers are sensitive to the volume name. Are both volumes named the same?

t3rockhall
08-13-2006, 04:25 PM
No. They are named differently. But SD says that vol_house2 cannot be found and lets me select the other volume's name. I could easily change the name of it to vol_house1 on my next visit. I can't change house1's name because I have another Mac (that I do not use SD with) there with that name already and don't want to change it. Why should this matter?

But, I'll try it next time and report back.

dnanian
08-13-2006, 04:33 PM
If SD! says it can't find a volume, it's either because the volume is missing or because its low-level ID changes.

It matters when some application store aliases that store the volume name. Aliases have that name in them, and might need the name the same to work properly in some cases.

t3rockhall
08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Went to house 2 today.
Booted from internal and renamed disk to match name at house 1
rebooted from backup LaCie
tried to print to C86, and did so successfully.
Ran SD from LaCie to internal to equalize
Rebooted from internal
ran test print, successfully.

So far, so good

More to follow in a few days.

dnanian
08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey, good to hear... sounds like they were sensitive to the volume name.

t3rockhall
08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
back at machine #1, and all seems fine now. Thanks.