PDA

View Full Version : New HD question...

kswaty
02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I have just installed a new internal HD in the lower HD bay. I am just about to zero it and partition it. I cannot find any detailed explanations about how exactly to do this in disk utility. From what I have found, it sounds as though I can partition and erase the drive at the same time - however, if I want to write zeros to it, do I have to do that first, or do I have the option to write zeros when I chose partition.....?

Also, I'm quite sure I read somewhere in the SD manual that it is best, when using Sandbox to name the partition for the original - Macintosh HD. Of course, my other HD is already named that - should I name this new one Macintosh HD2...or is having the same name for both internals ok?

Also, can I use my computer while it's writing zeros...or should I have all applications closed.

dnanian
02-17-2006, 06:33 PM
You can't partition and zero at the same time, unfortunately. You'll have to first format/zero it (remember to do both data and free space), then partition.

You don't need to close applications while it's formatting the drive.

kswaty
02-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Thank you so much Dave - what about the name....

dnanian
02-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Ah, sorry. Too many questions today. :)

If you're making a Sandbox, do not use the original name. Use Sandbox. If you're making a backup (not the same thing), using the original name before you boot to the backup ensures that aliases resolve to the backup, rather than to the original volume.

kswaty
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
In my top bay, the HD is not partitioned and is named Macintosh HD - this is going to be my backup volume. The HD in the bottom bay - I want to partition for a sandbox. The first and largest partition will be the original (this is the one I am not sure what to name) - the second will be named Sandbox - for the sandbox. I have never had two internal drives before so I'm not sure if it would be confusing if they had the same names. Do you ever eat or sleep?

dnanian
02-17-2006, 08:12 PM
OK. Just call the 2nd drive "Macintosh HD Backup". If you want to boot from it, you can rename it to "Macintosh HD" before you do so. That'll work fine.

I do, on occasion, eat and sleep. I think. ;)

kswaty
02-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Let me make sure I understand - I change the name of the HD in bay 1 to "Macintosh HD backup". I name the first partition of HD in bay 2 "Macintosh HD" and the second "Sandbox". The only time I change the name of "Macintosh HD backup" is when I want to boot from it, which means If for some reason or emergency, I cannot boot from "Macintosh HD" in bay 2, then I will need to boot from the DVD that came with my computer - correct...?

dnanian
02-17-2006, 10:41 PM
That sounds about right to me! (Note that, in emergency, you'll be able to boot from "Macintosh HD Backup", even if it's named incorrectly. It's just that aliases -- such as those in the dock -- will likely open applications on the original drive, not the backup. This is because aliases store the name in the volume...