Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Qustions before my first backup

Ok....novice Mac user and very recent SD user, just purchased today. I have read the web site and browsed the discussion forums and still have a couple of questions before I create my initial Full Bootable Backup. The read-me document that came with the download has raised these questions for me. First, I thought I would be able to create the boot backup on my existing firewire external drive that is currently being used with Time Machine, however the read-me doc states that the drive should be partitioned or it could overwrite current data that is on the drive. I do not want to do any partitioning and certainly do not want to overwrite my Time Machine backups, so should I get another external drive or will it do its thing without harming my Time Machine backups? Second, the read-me doc also states that it is best to have nothing running during the backup. It even recommends that I log out and back in with the Shift key held down to prevent apps from starting up. This is ok I guess for the initial backup, but I had intended to “refresh” the back up using Smart Backup to schedule weekly updates. Does this mean that I would need to log out and back in every-time I want to do a Smart Backup? If so, then I should not set up a scheduled backup but do I manually, correct?
Thanks in advance for any insight that can be given here.
John