Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-30-2008, 02:28 AM

Using Time Capsule As An External Drive

Dave: I posted a message similar to this on the Apple Forum, but I expect they may delete it: I have spent the entire day trying to delete Time Machine's infamous .inProgress file. None of the suggestions in the Apple forum worked. Finally, in desperation, I deleted the sparse image that Time Machine had built over the past six weeks. Immediately, the .inProgress file became deletable. Given the hassle plus the likelihood that this will happen again, I have decided to shut down Time Machine and wait for software updates that will improve its reliability. I can't afford the time to mess with this kind of nonsense. I had no problem deleting TM because I have a second internal drive with a bootable clone of my main hard drive. SuperDuper! 2.5 is the software and it has saved my bacon many times. As a TM replacement, I'll put a SuperDuper! sparse image on the Time Capsule drive. It isn't the same as the TM image, but it's a useful extra copy of my main hard drive. _Is there any way to partition TC's drive?_

Dave: Although TC is connected to my Mac Pro via gigabit Ethernet, I assume that it's still a network drive and won't support an SD! bootable clone. I further assume that I'll have to use the SD! sparse image. Is this correct? Do you have any comment about partitioning the TC hard drive?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
That's right, you're backing up over a network so you have to use an image -- and you can't partition a Time Capsule drive.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
That's right, you're backing up over a network so you have to use an image -- and you can't partition a Time Capsule drive.
Thanks. As far as I'm concerned, SD! is still number one.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I just want to emphasize again, as I have elsewhere: I think it's a mistake to use a network backup as your only backup...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 PM

I agree completely. Currently, I have a second internal drive that I use for my bootable clone. The network image is an extra. I'm seriously thinking about adding an external Firewire drive so I'll have two bootable clones in two different housings.