Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 PM

How important is the volume name of the clone?

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the forum before but I can't easily find it.

I have two partitions on a Mac, a very small partition called "Macintosh HD" and a larger one called "Macintosh HD II". The contents of the small one are entirely OS 9 (Classic) files that I don't need anymore. I routinely clone "Macintosh HD II" to a firewire drive called "Clone-A" -- Now I want to reformat the computer's internal drive to be just one single partition, and then restore from the clone back to the internal drive that would have one partition instead of two.

Should I make the clone have the same name as the source drive, "Macintosh HD II"? If so, can I simply rename the clone now or should I erase/reformat/rename it and then proceed with a new clone? To clone and then restore back from the clone after reformatting the source, how important is it to name the source and clone and restore volume identically? I don't understand how things like aliases, links, and software serial numbers/codes get preserved through these clone/restore steps, so that's why I am asking.