Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM

restored internal drive volume name problem

I recently restored my internal HD from my superduper backup. Now the internal drive’s volume name is the same as the external drive.

Did I do something wrong?

How can I change this volume name.?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
We don't change the volume name - we're copying the files in the volume. You can change the volume name in Finder, if you'd like...
Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Well the name was changed just by the restore.

I thought I might be able to rename it if I could see the volume name in Finder but I couldn't figure out how to get it there. Then I tried Go to Folder within Finder and put in the new name and sure enough I got it and then just dragged it to the Finder Favorites list. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Administrator

I have no idea how a file copy could change a volume name. Or did you do a low-level restore from an image file?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 AM

I'm having this same problem. I've been using Smart Update and had to do a restore to my startup disk. After the restore in Disk Utility, I rebooted with the Opt key, but Macintosh HD was not one of the options, only the name of my sparsebundle backup. I tried again, making sure the backup drive was not connect, but got the same result.

I booted into the true Mac HD (now called MBP_BK) and changed it's name to Macintosh HD in Finder. However, in the sidebar it still says MBP_BK and I can't find a way to change it.

Trying my 3rd restore, having named the mounted sparsebundle Macintosh HD, which added a "1" at the end in the Finder field, as expected since that drive was already mounted. When I chose the source and destination in Disk Utility the confirmation said something like "replacing 'Macintosh HD' with 'Macintosh HD'" (without the "1") so maybe this will work.

But why would the restore adopt the name of my backup? Even the user guide screenshot shows the bundle's name as "Backup."
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Administrator

You restored with Disk Utility, which is going to do a low-level restore, and take the name of the source drive (which is part of the low-level info). A restore with SuperDuper won't change the name, since we're copying the contents, not the "drive".

But changing the name in Finder and restarting should certainly change the name - it's a volume name like any other and can be set...
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I just went through the user guide again and there's no mention of that. I wouldn't have used that method.

Either way, renaming the mounted sparseimage before restarting for the restore worked. I'm up and running again, if a bit more wary of SD.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Honestly, there's nothing to be wary of - this is Disk Utility's behavior. Renaming the volume, as I said, should have worked just fine - it's just a volume name. Re-restoring did not have to be done.