Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 PM

boot from USB external?

Hi -

I know there's a sticky on this, but I wanted to see if I could get some more info.

I have a new Intel MacBook running 10.5.5, and I have a Fujitsu MHV2080 SATA in a cheap USB enclosure (USB-powered). I was hoping to be able to boot from this disk, but don't seem to be able to. Yes, I partitioned with GUID formatting, and did a SuperDuper full backup copy onto it from the same machine I want to boot from. As you might gather, the disk mounts fine. The backup copy on the disk looks fine.

Then I do a restart holding down the OPTION key with the disk connected. The startup manager comes up, but the external disk isn't there!

Is this one of these deals where not quite all USB drives are bootable, and I just happen to have one that isn't. Or ... ? Do I really have to get myself a Firewire enclosure? Fortunately, this is a last-generation MacBook that has a Firewire port! Is this a SuperDuper issue, a USB issue, a disk issue, or an enclosure issue?

I gather that I may have to connect the enclosure to an external power supply. But would low power produce this symptom? As I said, it mounts fine.

Thanks,

Dan