Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 PM

TESTING: SuperDuper problems copying some data

I am encountering some problems where SuperDuper will not copy some data.

The data is known to be corrupt, so if you would like I might be able to help you test SuperDuper in this kind of situation.

History:

60GB Maxtor hard drive was corrupting data. (bad, bad Maxtor! Do NOT use Maxtor drives in Macs! My friend's business uses them in Tivo's, where he says they are extremely reliable. But there are lots and lots of Maxtor horror stories on Macs... YMMV.)

I copied data from the Maxtor to a good drive, and verified the data was duplicated correctly.

Some of the data was corrupt, however. (For example, files contained garbage.) There was also some more severe corruption, for example, folder could not be opened.

However, Disk Utilities and DiskWarrior both report the disk and its structure are healthy.

Both the Finder and Synchronize! Pro X can copy the hard drive.

However, SuperDuper cannot copy the drive. It fails and reports this error:

console.log:
Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
2005-05-16 10:21:38 -0500
2005-05-16 10:39:22.797 SuperDuper![500] ***ERROR OCCURRED: ditto: can't get real path for source

SuperDuper!.log:
|10:39:22 AM|Info| WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
|10:39:22 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Volumes/Macintosh Data/60 GB - "OK"/Developer/Documentation/Help/QuickTime, lstat(): 0
|10:39:22 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Hard Drive/60 GB - "OK"/Developer/Documentation/Help/QuickTime, lstat(): -1
|10:39:22 AM|Info| WARNING: Could not copy file with Cocoa frameworks. Attempting to copy with ditto.
|10:39:22 AM|Error| ditto: can't get real path for source

Investigating further, it is possible to open the folder "/Volumes/Macintosh Data/60 GB - "OK"/Developer/Documentation/Help/QuickTime" in Finder.

However, the files inside the folder are indeed corrupted.

The corrupted data from the bad Maxtor drive has been the bane of my existence ever since it occurred.

This particular folder is non-essential, but there is other data that is (was) valuable.

The vexing part of the situation is that there are 10's of GB's of data, and thus far it has been impossible to discover which data is good and which data is corrupt.

Thus, I have to continue to store and maintain much more data than necessary, in the event that some of the data is good, although it is uncertain data! Arrggh!

1. Any suggestions how to identify corrupt data here would be most welcome!!! It would be very helpful to be able to effectively separate the wheat from the chaff...

2. If there is anything I can do using this situation to help test SuperDuper!, please let me know how I might be able to help.

3. Note that SuperDuper! cannot copy some files, although those files are easily copied by the Finder. What is wrong here?

Thank you!
________
Honda Spree history

Last edited by stevea; 03-10-2011 at 11:50 AM.