Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM

SuperDuper and Seagate FreeAgent Go, Mac Version

Hi all!

During Christmas I bought my sons and I the new Seagate FreeAgent Go for Mac 500GB external HD packages, thanks to Aston Kucher's TV ad's impression on my sons that this was a good thing, and MacWorld's review that it was a solid speedy drive.

This last week I put SuperDuper to work creating bootable backups of (first) a black Intel MacBook. Wonderful. Works using USB 2 (requires two cables) or Firewire 400. Thank you Shirt Pocket and Seagate.

I then went to work on a PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz, making sure to use the firewire port, since I wanted it to be a bootable backup when I restarted from the backup. No dice.

The transfer rate in backing up the internal drive was exceptional, and took minimal time, but when I tried to boot from the drive using the Seagate's supplied FW 800 to 800 cable or FW 800 to 400 conversion cable, the PowerBook would not boot from the drive. I then tried to boot another newer PowerBook G4 with the faster 1.67 GHz processor using the same disc. Still no dice.

I used Disc Utility to check the partitioning information on the Seagate external and found it to be a GUID partition.

Is this perhaps the reason it will not boot on the PowerBooks (PPC G4 Macs)? If so, I have already determined that erasing the drive with Disc Utility (v11.1 under System 10.5.6) or using SuperDuper will not return it to an APM status.

How can I format the disc as APM to try on the two PPC PowerBook G4's that I have? (Note: see the following posts to make a PPC or dual-boot drive from this disc.)

...JB

Last edited by JB3; 01-09-2009 at 04:52 PM.