Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Question New MBP and Super Duper Restore

Hello. I have read the posts regarding restoring a Super Duper external hard drive backup from old machine to new machine and believe I understand the process now. (Choose SD backup from external hard drive upon first boot of new computer or after clean erase and install.) My old machine is a 2 year old Mackbook Pro which is slowly dying (think spilled coffee). I now own a new MBP. If I do the restore properly will my new machine have all of the subfolders I have created under documents, all of the working applications complete with passwords where the belong, etc.?

I have learned that using Migration Assistant did nothing but move thousands of files from my old computer into one new folder, not keeping my subfolder filing. Everything is in there even files pertaining to different applications. Same with the applications themselves.

Time to try again.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
That's not at all what I've seen if you migrate when first prompted to "Copy From Another Mac", Steve. Is that what you did?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM

When I followed the prompt you refer to I copied from the external hard drive. Accidentally I copied the Time Machine backup rather than the Super Duper backup. So that gave me the multiple files. I remember some of the choices on the external hd were "Storage", "System preferences", my user files, and "Backup". I was thinking that Storage was my SD backup. I was wrong. "Backup" is the name of my SD backup. So I pointed the new computer setup to Storage, system preferences and everything but the correct file ("Backup").

When the above did not work, I did a clean erase and install and did not copy from another Mac or drive (mistake) but went on and installed the applications disk that came with the new Mac. Then I ran the Migration Assistant plugged into my old Mac (which is still working for now at least). When that was finished I got 3 new folders on the hard drive. One said documents and had thousands of files and documents. One had all the applications and I don't remember what the third was.

I am now doing another clean erase and install and this time when prompted I am going to try to point it at the correct super duper back up on the external hard drive.

Thanks Dave,

Steve
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Administrator

OK - let me know what happens, Steve!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM

When I choose transfer from another Mac, it goes to my external hard drive which is connected with firewire cable. Here are choices I can choose to transfer:

1. "Steve" which seems to have App and other folders
2. "Network and Other Settings"
3. "Applications Folder"
4. "Files and folders on 'Backup'"
5. "Storage"

#4 should be my SD backup
#5 is Time Machine

I do not know what #1, 2 and 3 are associated with and whether they should be selected in addition to #4.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator

This is during the initial boot, Steve - right after the install has finished (you haven't run Migration manually)?