Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-20-2005, 11:11 AM

External Drive hangs after backup is complete

I use a couple of Firewire drives I use to clone my internal with SD. After SD is done and i click the "ok" button...the ext drive gets hit for a second and then hangs followed by the pinwheel of death. If I move to finder to access the drive...I get another pinwheel......if I turn off the power to my external (which I admit may not be adding to its life) everything springs back to life. Is this a HD problem, firewire problem, or a SD thing. I have this problem with both externals which are drives I put into two different mfg enclosures.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It certainly sounds like a hardware issue, peepsula. We're accessing the drive at a very high level, using standard file calls. If you get a pinwheel, it means the OS itself has "blocked" trying to write to the drive (which is why it's blocked in Finder, too).

It's hard to know if it's a FireWire, enclosure or drive issue, though - but it sounds like they don't spin up properly after a spindown. Turning off "Turn off hard disk(s) when possible" in the Energy Saver preference pane might help that.

Whose enclosures are these? Have you verified their Mac compatibility and updated the firmware to the most recent version? Do they use Oxford chipsets, or the "dreaded" Prolific ones? And, is this Panther, Tiger, Jaguar...?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but maybe some element in there will help me, or someone else on the forums, diagnose the issue and offer suggestions.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
It certainly sounds like a hardware issue, peepsula. We're accessing the drive at a very high level, using standard file calls. If you get a pinwheel, it means the OS itself has "blocked" trying to write to the drive (which is why it's blocked in Finder, too).

It's hard to know if it's a FireWire, enclosure or drive issue, though - but it sounds like they don't spin up properly after a spindown. Turning off "Turn off hard disk(s) when possible" in the Energy Saver preference pane might help that.

Whose enclosures are these? Have you verified their Mac compatibility and updated the firmware to the most recent version? Do they use Oxford chipsets, or the "dreaded" Prolific ones? And, is this Panther, Tiger, Jaguar...?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but maybe some element in there will help me, or someone else on the forums, diagnose the issue and offer suggestions.
Thanks for the ideas...I changed my pref as suggested. I am running Tiger with the latest patches.
Enclosure 1 is Map-31x Series (Doesn't specify so I am sure it is not Oxford..
Enclosure 2 Mobile Disk (CompUSA model) (Dito...doesn't say on the documentation)

I have been thinking of changing my backup drives to some better enclosures...but I have the same problems b/c its firewire I didn't want to spend the money.....I know my enclosures were not top of the line...hindsite is much clearer
Old 08-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

It's relatively easy to find some LaCie FireWire "Porsche Design" models, with 250GB drives, for less than $150 these days -- so it's not that expensive to get the "good stuff"!

If you look in System Profiler, and click the FireWire section and the device, it will usually say what bridge chipset you have...
Old 08-20-2005, 09:00 PM

hey while I have your ear...any other suggestions on drive enclosures. I have 2-160 GB and 2-250 GB IDE drives, and an extra 250GB SATA drive that I am trying to get into a better backup system. Over the weekend I will have 2-300 GB drives in my G5...so I am looking for maybe going to add a SATA 2 drive enclosure to backup my internal or maybe even look at configuring a RAID and using the IDE drives ( in better enclosures) for a weekly backup. Until I beefed up the 2nd internal I was using 2 of the external for scratch disks for video stuff. I keep all my business stuff on the same machine so I really want to develope a fool-proof backup system. So far a I have a bunch of parts but I need to stitch it together. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Maybe one of the tray systems (FW 800) by Wiebe Tech?