Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM

"Smarter" Scheduling

I would like to suggest a couple of improvements to the "Scheduling" feature of SuperDuper!

1 - It would be nice to have the option to run a scheduled backup "silently" - that is, SuperDuper! would launch hidden (and it wouldn't do the "Running in 10 seconds" notification). It would just start at the scheduled time. Even showing the notification would be fine...maybe "Run Hidden" would be a useful option for the actual backup settings

2 - Have a little bit better error handling when the target drive is not available...for example, I have a scheduled backup on my laptop - which isn't always connected to my external drive, it throws all kinds of errors. I'd just like for it to fail silently, and exit...and the next time I open SuperDuper! manually, it would say something like "Backup copy failed x times since you last ran SuperDuper!, would you like to see a log?"

3 - Possibly leverage Launch Services instead of cron jobs. Again, as I'm backing up an external drive on my laptop, it's very useful to have it run when the drive is actually connected. You can do this using Launch Services (trigger based off of a filesystem change - such as mounting an external drive). Basically, what would be nice is when you are scheduling a backup, in addition to Days and Times, it would be nice to have an option of "Run whenever target drive is connected". This option would only make sense when it's an external drive (not a network drive) - but it would be a nice one. The net effect being that when you plug in your drive, it gets synched.

Anyway, they are just a few suggestions - the program overall is GREAT! Very easy and intuitive! Keep up the good work!

-Nathan