Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-06-2006, 11:04 AM

Backup home directory into drive backuped using "Backup - all files"

I have searched for an answer to this, but haven't found any. Please tell me how to do this.

I run "Backup -all files" about weekly. Syncing the contents of my main hard drive (~70 GB, ~600 000 files) to my external drive takes about 40 minutes. My guess is that most of this time is syncing system files and such.

So I would like an option to just sync my home folder, so I can do that quickly, on a daily basis if I want to. My wish is to sync it *into* the same backup partition as used in "Backup - all files". (The files would then need to go into /Volumes/Backup/Users/username/, not /Volumes/Backup/, as I think Superduper wanted to do last I tried.) I know this could make things inconsistent, but I don't think thats a big issue.

Is this possible to do in Superduper? Can you tell me how to do it?

Also, thanks for this nice backup utility that does its thing well!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, you can't do that... but it won't help. System files aren't really changing. If it's taking 40 minutes, it's likely that you changed a lot of information... or you're using FileVault/Parallels/VirtualPC/Something that deals with very large files...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
No, you can't do that... but it won't help. System files aren't really changing. If it's taking 40 minutes, it's likely that you changed a lot of information... or you're using FileVault/Parallels/VirtualPC/Something that deals with very large files...
Wow, that was fast! Thanks!

Ok, sad to hear I can't do what I wanted.

I can't think of any app I run that changes lots of information, or is disk intensive. I don't run any app of those you mention.

I don't think it's file copying that takes the most time, but checking through lots of files that don't need copying. (As it takes about the same time to backup all files if nothing changed on disk.) Since, as you say, system files don't change often, I would have wanted not to let Superduper sync those files.

Is there any way to see where on the drive that Superduper spends most of its time? That is, what parts of the directory structure.

If you think the time it takes to backup my drive seems too long, I'd like to hear if you have any suggestions to make it go faster. I know my main drive is quite slow to begin with.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Well, on my system I routinely check over 1.5 million files and folder in about 12 minutes. Even when you exclude files, we scan the drive.

It's very unusual for it to take 40 minutes, though, if nothing has changed. If you look at the bottom of the log for one of these runs, how many files does it say were actually copied, and how much data?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Well, on my system I routinely check over 1.5 million files and folder in about 12 minutes. Even when you exclude files, we scan the drive.

It's very unusual for it to take 40 minutes, though, if nothing has changed. If you look at the bottom of the log for one of these runs, how many files does it say were actually copied, and how much data?
I just ran "Backup - all files" (the smart version):
628 517 files evaluated, 7 833 files copied. Effective copy speed 34,53 MB/s.

I have an iMac G4 800 MHz, and copy from the internal drive (don't remember its rpm) to an external firewire 400 drive. Both the internal drive and the backup partition is quite low on space (~1 GB empty). Could this be the reason Superduper now runs about 10 minutes slower than it did when I first got the program?

Edit: this backup took 34:08 to finish.

Last edited by jjohnsson; 10-06-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Sorry, I now see I didn't really answer your questions. At least not the amount of data copied. However, the log in ~/Library/Logs/SuperDuper!.log doesn't contain any runs from this year, just from 2005. Is there some other log that is used instead?

IIRC, the amount of data copied was in the ~400 MB range. But that info disappeared from the main window of Superduper when it finished.

Last edited by jjohnsson; 10-06-2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: changed 2006->2005, as that's what I meant.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

OK. Well, your effective speed isn't bad; if you press Cmd+L from inside SD! you'll see the log, and then the total stats are at the bottom.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:22 AM

I have quite a few of those in the log:

| 05:22:01 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(34): Result too large
| 05:22:01 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Users/jonathan/Desktop/Nerladdat/Veerle1.tif, lstat(): 0
| 05:22:01 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Backup/Users/jonathan/Desktop/Nerladdat/Veerle1.tif, lstat(): 0
| 05:22:01 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 05:22:01 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto.
| 05:22:01 PM | Info | Successfully copied file.
What does it mean?
The end result of the backup is this:
| 05:41:16 PM | Info | Evaluated 749210 items occupying 69.49 GB (122759 directories, 615865 files, 10586 symlinks)
| 05:41:16 PM | Info | Copied 25218 items totaling 0.47 GB (3401 directories, 7833 files, 13984 symlinks)
| 05:41:16 PM | Info | Cloned 68.66 GB of data in 2036 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 34.53 MB/s

You said something about that you scan the whole drive anyway, right? Does that mean that I wouldn't get any speedup, *just* syncing my home folder to some other backup partition? I really think that sounds strange myself.
I am very thankful for your rapid responses. These things have bothered med for some time.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 AM

Ok, googling the warning message got me to an answer from you, saying I could be low on disk space. And that's definitely the case here, should clean up my disks some. But it's just a warning, I mean everything is still copied correctly, right?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator

How full is the destination? Although on retry it did indicate it copied OK, I'm a bit suspicious that "ditto" (which we use as a 3rd-level retry) might have messed returned an invalid result.

But, yes, I think it's quite possible that the overly full drive could be slowing things down.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 AM

The backup partition was down to ~700 MB free when I got the error messages.

Today I cleaned up a bit, removing things I don't use often (a few gig and ~100000 files less). I'm now down below half an hour syncing. A "dry run" takes 24 minutes now. And there are no error messages.

If ditto messed up, would no errors indicate that those things are fixed, or should I do a complete erase and backup to be certain all files are as they should?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator

You know, I'd do that regardless. I think the files are as they should be, but I also think the destination might be fragmented enough that an erase-and-copy will help speed things up further.