Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM

Western Digital My Book Pro 500 GB Suitability

Apologies if this is inappropriate for this forum but as a place visited by people familiar with backing-up to external drives I thought that this might be a good place to seek advice.

I am a new user of SuperDuper! and wish to purchase a good quality external drive to maintain back-ups of my entire 160GB MacBook Pro hard drive (although 30GB of that is used by Boot Camp).

LaCie is among one of the manufacturers mentioned favourably in the SuperDuper! documentation and by Dave Nanian in these forums and I did have my eye on their d2 320 GB model due to its triple interface (I have FireWire 800 but also wish to connect the drive via USB 2 to the new AirPort Extreme for use as an AirPort Disk). However, for a mere £20 more, I found the Western Digital My Book Pro 500 GB which seems to have reasonably good reviews but I read in another thread (http://shirt-pocket.com/forums/showt...ghlight=mybook) that some Western Digital drives do not use the Oxford chipset that is recommended.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the My Book Pro 500 GB uses an Oxford chipset (the aforementioned thread has a list of model numbers that do but the 500 GB model number WDG1T5000N is not part of it) or just generally whether you would recommend it or not?

Thanks in advance,

-- Paul
Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hey, Paul. Based on user reports (I haven't tried it myself), the MyBooks seem to use true Oxford parts. I think the only way to know for sure, though, is to check with WD to see.

Another good drive is the Maxtor OneTouch III USB/Firewire drive. I've seen the 500GB drive for less than $200 on DealMac recently, and the 300GB unit goes for as low as $120, and it definitely uses an Oxford bridge.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM

I just rung Western Digital's technical support department and the technician told me that the drive in question uses the Oxford 924 chipset.

-- Paul
Old 02-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Perfect, Paul: that should work great.