Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM

possible to sync limited folders within volume?

I'm having some problems today with my system.. more than one app is doing strange things and I might go to the backup I made with super duper. That backup is almost 2 weeks old though and I want to keep the updated things like documents, mail messages etc...
Finding all the updates is a nightmare and for some reason some things ( like mail messages) don't show up on searches for recent items. I don't want to wipe this drive and find out later I missed something.
Obviously I dont want to clone the drive that is now having problems because those problems may become inherited.
That got me thinking. Can I just smart copy within a folder.
For instance if I write a script that says just to update the mail folder from my source to my backup, can it do that without altering other files and have it go in the right place?
I know some similar questions have been asked here but the jargon was a bit beyond me.

thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No. But what you can do is boot from the backup, then simply copy the Mail folder to the original... or vice versa. It won't be a "smart" copy, but it should copy file...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM

thanks for the reply.
I thought that was the case.
It would be a very nice feature though. I've been looking for a way to sync mail with my laptop and that would do it also.
I can copy the whole mail folder back and forth, (thats what I did in this case) but at over 2 gigs it's a lot to copy back and forth all the time.

It also would be helpful in a situation like this where I want to update certain files without updating the system items that may have been corrupted.

thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Understood. We're not really trying to be a "sync" program as such, but I understand the request...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 PM

I think your program is great at what it does...
ya never know where there might be another market for things that might be just a step outside of you current capabilities though.
I just don't know enough about it to know if it's too much of a stretch or not.
thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 11:13 PM

I was looking for this functionality too.

Sad to hear this app isn't concerned about syncing, as the Smart Backup feature is the only reason I paid the license fee.

I keep my backup drive identical to my primary drive with nightly Smart Backups.

So it doesn't seem to me to be a stretch to ask to be able to do Smart Backups of individual directories.

Right now I have a user directory on two machines that I need to sync. There's no reason at this day and age that I should have to do a manual copy of the whole directory to accomplish this.

Shirt Pocket - your product rocks. I tell lots of people about it. But I'm sad to hear you're not likely to add this function. Seems like it's already built in, all I'm asking is not to wipe the rest of the drive to sync a directory!