Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 AM

Cant restore sparse image. need some help

i bought a new hard drive recently and im using leopard on an intel macbook. i made a superduper sparse disk image of the old hard drive and saved it onto another leopard macbook. now i put the new hard drive in my macbook. what should i do to get the image back on my computer onto this new hard drive?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Put the "destination" MacBook into "FireWire Target Disk Mode" (hold down "T" during startup), connect it to the other MacBook, then open the sparse image and restore from its volume (which appears when you open it) to the MacBook using "Backup - all files" and Smart Update.

Make sure the new drive is properly partitioned with the "GUID" partition scheme!

Last edited by dnanian; 03-02-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Added partitioning suggestion.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Put the "destination" MacBook into "FireWire Target Disk Mode" (hold down "T" during startup), connect it to the other MacBook, then open the sparse image and restore from its volume (which appears when you open it) to the MacBook using "Backup - all files" and Smart Update.

Make sure the new drive is properly partitioned with the "GUID" partition scheme!
ok when i put my destination macbook in target disk mode, im confused on what exactly to do. i just open the sparse image on my other macbook and will it prompt me to restore it from its volume? or do i use superduper or DiskUtility? im kinda novice on this.

and what about partitioning the new drive with the GUID partition? im not sure what that is but when i went to DiskUtility, it said the whole hard drive was a GUID partition, so i should be ok im assuming

any help would be great. thank you very much

Last edited by poose22; 03-02-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

To put a Mac in FireWire mode, you hold down T during power on. It'll then act like a big disk.

Plug it in, with FireWire, to the "host" Mac you're going to be doing the restore from.

To partition:

* Start Disk Utility
* Select the external drive hardware in the sidebar
* Click the Partition tab
* Click Options
* Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for Intel macs, Apple Partition Map for Power PC) and accept the page
* Use the UI to create a single large partition. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately
* Click Partition.

Once that's done, open the sparse image. It'll just open as a "disk". Then, start SD. Select the "disk" from the sparse image in the first pop-up, the new partition (on the Mac) in the 2nd, choose "Backup - all files" as the script and either "erase, then copy" or "smart update" as the "during copy" option (in Options).

Then, copy away.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
To put a Mac in FireWire mode, you hold down T during power on. It'll then act like a big disk.

Plug it in, with FireWire, to the "host" Mac you're going to be doing the restore from.

To partition:

* Start Disk Utility
* Select the external drive hardware in the sidebar
* Click the Partition tab
* Click Options
* Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for Intel macs, Apple Partition Map for Power PC) and accept the page
* Use the UI to create a single large partition. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately
* Click Partition.

Once that's done, open the sparse image. It'll just open as a "disk". Then, start SD. Select the "disk" from the sparse image in the first pop-up, the new partition (on the Mac) in the 2nd, choose "Backup - all files" as the script and either "erase, then copy" or "smart update" as the "during copy" option (in Options).

Then, copy away.
awesome! we got it working now. thanks a lot for your help
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear you've got it working: congratulations.