Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM

Uh oh! I'm in trouble.

Somehow things got REALLY screwed up with my drive configuration/backup. My setup is 74GB Raptor as boot drive/sandbox, 400GB internal HD with system and user files, 400GB external FW for backup.

Yesterday I tried to run a Smart Update of the HD from the sandbox. I had installed some new system updates and things seemed to be running smoothly, so I wanted to update the HD. When I opened the application, a message came up saying "this is the first time you've opened this app etc." which is totally wrong. In retrospect, I probably should have stopped there... but I didn't. I ran the update, it seemed to finish. But at the end the application froze, and I had to force quit. Then I clicked the icon to open again and a grey question mark appeared on the icon. Bad. Again, I probably should have stopped here. But I downloaded a new copy of SuperDuper and then used it to back up my HD to my external FW.

The result is that somehow my internal HD and external FW are no longer bootable drives. If I click on the HDs, all that appears are two folders: Library (which only has Caches and Logs folders in it) and Users (which thankfully does have all of my user files). But neither drive has a system or applications and of course neither are bootable.

It seems like I should probably start from scratch with a new OS install (b/c the string of events that got me here indicate some system problem), but I'm not sure how to go about it with configuration of drives I've got. Would I do a clean install of OS X on the internal HD (not sandbox), run the updates, and then use migration assistant to bring in my user files from the external HD? But then what about applications? Neither the internal HD nor the external HD have them. If I try to use migration assistant to bring the application files from the sandbox to the HD, it will try to look for the library files associated with those apps - and they won't be on the sandbox.

I'm very confused and freaked out here, so I'd really appreciate any help you could offer!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 PM

I should add...

... that somehow the System and Library folders ended up on my sandbox, along with the Applications.

So the only thing on my HD is my user files and a folder entitled "Library" which only has two folders inside called "Cache" and "Logs".

??
Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I'm not sure what's happened here, Chris. Do you have your regular backup? How could everything get all messed up at once?

Did you perhaps not use "Smart Update" with "Backup - all files" to update the main drive from the Sandbox?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Dave,

I'm honestly not sure how it happened. Initially, I think it had something to do with whatever system error caused the problem with SuperDuper I mentioned in the first post.

After that, it was compounded by my own negligence. I should have stopped there, suspecting something might be wrong, but instead I proceeded to clone the HD that I didn't know was screwed up to my backup. So now both the HD and backup are messed up.

That still doesn't explain how the Library and System folders got onto my Sandbox. But at this point, I'm not as interested in the why as the HOW do I fix this?!

Since the sandbox has everything but user files, and the backup drive has the user files, my thinking now is to erase the HD, do a clean reinstall of OS X, run updates, freshly reinstall applications from disk and then manually bring in user files, preferences, etc. from the backup drive. Sounds like a real fun time :<, but it seems like the safest way to go.

What do you think?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Library and System should be on your Sandbox, actually. Only the home folders in /Users, a folder in /Library and some applications are shared.

Are you sure everything's on the Sandbox, including the Applications?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:47 PM

Right. My brain lapsed there for a minute.

Everything is on Sandbox except for the user files. The Apps are definitely there - I'm running one of them to write this message and there are NO apps on the HD.

I had created "shared users" as the sandbox, so my applications weren't being shared at all.

This being the case, what do you suggest?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

OK. Copy your entire sandbox to a drive that does NOT contain your users. Then, delete the Users folder (which should mostly be empty) from that drive. Finally, do a "Backup - user files" from the drive with the user files on it to the drive that contains the new copy of the Sandbox, using "Copy different".

Hopefully that'll combine the two and you'll be able to test to make sure.