Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 PM

Sleep

Just bought the program, looks great!

I've turned off my screensaver idle password, and I know the manual says you have to be logged into your account and your screen unlocked.

I'll schedule Energy Saver to wake up my computer from sleep 1 min before SuperDuper is scheduled to do a backup...BUT, I've got fast user switching, and as such, my computer asks me to enter my password whenever my computer is awoken from sleep.

Will Superduper not launch then?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If the system is locked with a password, the OS won't allow us to launch, since we have a UI. But you should be able to change that behavior in your system preferences...
Old 03-15-2006, 05:25 PM

I can turn off the wake from sleep password, but this will also turn off my screensaver password, which I don't want.

I was hoping to be able to do a scheduled backup during the night, while my computer is sleeping - SD wakes my comp up, does the backup, then puts it back to sleep again.

Unfortunately, without turning off both my screensaver and sleep passwords, I don't appear to be able to do this.

I'm also assuming that if I set SD to shutdown when the backup has finished, and there are other users logged in in fast user switching, that it will ask me, as the admin, to type in my password (as it usually does now when I restart/shutdown and others are logged in), and therefore it won't work if I'm not at my computer to type in my password?

Last edited by MarkW19; 03-15-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I can't really help with the wake/etc password. The restriction is OSX's: you can't launch applications when the computer is locked, the screen saver is up/locked, or your account is not in front.

Regarding shutdown, we ask the system to shut down. It should "prompt" normally, should a prompt be necessary: we don't "force" it to turn off.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM

I always do a backup in the middle of the night and my server is locked with a screensaver password. I have never had a problem. I never let my Mac sleep though ..
Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Richard, you're right - I just tested it and it works fine when the screensaver is locked, it's just when you're not logged into your account, and/or the computer is asleep.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

That's strange, because we've had reports that it doesn't work with the screen locked. Glad it's working for you, though!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:43 AM

I have my screen locked (with a screensaver password), but left SuperDuper open. Then it works -- probably b/c the GUI is already started...