Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2005, 03:55 PM

Unhappy Easy (I think) Newbie Question: B/U 2 Vols?

I have tempted fate for some time, and just now got a B/U drive to protect my files. A member of another forum suggested SuperDuper!, so I downloaded it and did a B/U of my system. I have a question, though.

First, you should know:
I have a PB G4 with an 80 GB drive.
I have a ProTools rig with a LaCie 200 GB drive.
I just bought a LaCie 300 GB drive to use solely as my B/U volume.

So, I did a "Back Up - All files" of my PB internal drive, which erased (the still-empty, new) disk and backed up successfully. Then, to do the 200 GB Lacie's B/U, I chose the option of NOT erasing, then only copying different files. The transfer went smoothly. Now then, my question.

Is there a better way to do this? On the new 300 GB Lacie, I now have my files backed up, but they're all together in one big list. Should I partition the new disk into, say, 90 GB and 210 GB parts and then do things over, each to their respective partitions? I've never partitioned a disk in my life, and I really just want to have a worst-case scenario backup of my songs and software should the unthinkable happen. Looking at the current layout of my backup volume, it seems restoring things after an emergency would be as much fun as getting chewing gum out of my hair.

I looked through the manual and did a brief search before posting this, but the posts were by folks a lot smarter than me, and they left me still unsure. Help, if you can. And talk to me like I'm a nincompoop. I am.

Thanks a pantload,

V.I.