Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Post Disk compatibility

Many users ask us what disks are compatible with SuperDuper! -- and while I have a list of brands and a discussion in the User's Guide that goes into some detail, I can't buy and test everything (sorry!).

In this thread, feel free to list your own experiences with disks, including boot compatibility, things you had to do to get the drive to work (e.g. most are shipped partitioned for Windows, and you'll have to repartition them for the Mac), speed, etc.

Note that, added to the list in the still-working-on-the-new-version User's Guide are (and remember -- FireWire is always preferred, although you can usually start up with a USB drive on an Intel -- not Power PC -- Mac):
  • Apricorn
  • G-Tech G-Drive
  • Drobo

Finally, as I've said elsewhere, I don't generally recommend MyBook drives. They cannot be used as startup devices on Power PC based Macs, and -- at least in our internal -- have been more prone to trouble/failures.

Have at it!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 AM

I use the following external HD:

One Technologies COMBO (FireWire 400 & USB 2.0) | 250 GB

in conjunction with a PowerBook 17" 1.67 GHz on Mac OS X 10.4.11

Works without any flaws using SD! and is boot compatible.

Jo*
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 PM

I currently have two external Firewire cases from Other World Computing (OWC, macsales.com) both of which have Oxford bridges and work flawlessly with SuperDuper and several different Macs.

One small portable case has the Oxford 911, while the larger two-disk "Elite" case has the Oxford 912. (I use this case in "two disk" mode, not as RAID, though it can be configured that way as well.) The first case is FW 400; the second is both 400 and 800.

I would heartily recommend OWC. I have bought many of their drives, four of their external FW cases, and have always had excellent service/help from them. They know Macs.

P.S. As an afterthought, both of these cases will successfully boot OS 9, if you need to, along with OS X of course.

Last edited by TMay; 08-04-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Smile

My setup

Enclosure: Vantec Nextar 3 (SATA to USB,FIREWIRE,eSATA)
Hard Drive: WD 500GB

I have two of these units, zero problems so far. (I have only tried firewire)
Boots just fine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3096.JPG (39.1 KB, 4978 views)
Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMay View Post
I would heartily recommend OWC. I have bought many of their drives, four of their external FW cases, and have always had excellent service/help from them. They know Macs.
I agree! Other World Computing is great.

I have 2 of their Mercury Elite Pro enclosures for IDE (USB/FireWire 400) and recently purchased one of their Mercury Elite Pro enclosures for SATA (USB/FireWire 400).

You can't go wrong with a purchase from OWC. They definitely know Mac hardware.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro FireWire 400 + USB 2.0 Oxford 934SSA Enclosure Kit - for 3.5" SATA Hard Drives

You can purchase a complete external drive from them, or build your own from an internal SATA driver from NewEgg.com with OWC's Mercury Elite Pro external enclosure.

WD Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA internal drive
Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 AM

I have good results with both the Buffalo DriveStation Combo 1TB and LaCie 301442U d2 Quadra 1TB.

Both drives are run off Firewire 800 ports on an iMac and a Mac Mini.

In addition to the SuperDuper backups, we also use these externals to handle Time Machine backups for our 5 machines, both local and over our LAN.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM

The Linux Net attached storage.
Dlink DNS-323 works file with SuperDuper
Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Iomega Drives

Hiya,

I used the following Iomega drives:

Iomega Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7200RPM 500GB (NOTE: USB Drives don't work as bootable drives with a PowerPC Mac)
MacBook (Intel Dual Core - Leopard)
Created a full backup partition (image) and booted from it via USB no problems.

Iomega UltraMax 1GB Firewire & USB
Fine with MacMini (Tiger) and MacBook (Leopard) using Firewire I have not tried using the USB side of it.

Iomega MiniMax 500GB Firewire & USB
Used to upgrade the MacMini from Tiger to Leopard using Firewire. It boots from the image and can access the files OK but Apple's Migration Assistant didn't work. It came up with a "Network timeout error" which I tried to get around but in the end I manually re-installed the apps and copied over the data files as it was quicker to do that than try to find a resolution. I don't know if this was something to do with Superduper! or the Migration Assistant.

Other than that I've had no problems.

Last edited by ChrisA; 09-09-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Just want to emphasize again for our Power PC customers: USB drives will not work as startup drives for Power PC Macs.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM

WD FW drives ok with Intel

Hi, by MyBook drives, do you mean Western Digital External Hard Drives in conjuction with PowerPC? What about Intel Imac's, will it boot?

Update:

Found this by dnanian:

"USB will work with Intel Macs (but not Power PC). The WD FW drives seem to not be able boot Power PC Macs, but will work with Intel as well"

Gonna buy it now...

Last edited by diegz; 09-06-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Found the answer
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Hi
All drives listed are boot-able via SD, external and use Fire Wire only, with zero issues.
-----------------
PPC: 10.4.11
x 2 Newmotion Technology 150GB

Lacie:
x4 500GB Drives (server)
--------------

Lacie Group SA:

INTEL (White): 10.4.11
x2 500GB Drives

INTEL (Alluminium): 10.5.5
x2 500GB Drives
--------------
Old 09-21-2008, 04:27 PM

NewerTech MiniStack has worked for me

I've had good experience with the Newer Tech (OWC) MiniStack (with Oxford chipset). I've used one for years as external backup for an iMac (Power PC), and have successfully tested it for booting and restoring to the iMac, via FireWire. I added a second MiniStack, and it's been solid too. They stack on each other.

Last edited by Ricky; 09-21-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator

I really cannot recommend the MyBook drives. And they will not work as startup drives for Power PC Macs.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM

WD portable drives

dnanian,

I use WD my passport 250 GB to superduper backup (1) my intel iMac 17" and (2) my MBP intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz without any problems whatsoever. They both boot up perfectly as well. (This WD drive has USB only)

Hence, I just bought another WD My passport studio 250 GB and backed up my intel MBP. It is also problem free with perfect boot up. (This has both Firewire 400 and USB)

I really like your Superduper product and use it exclusively for my backups. I tried time machine but do not use it any more.

Gerry Yu
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
Hi
All drives listed are boot-able via SD, external and use Fire Wire only, with zero issues.
-----------------
PPC: 10.4.11
x 2 Newmotion Technology 150GB

Lacie:
x4 500GB Drives (server)
--------------

Lacie Group SA:

INTEL (White): 10.4.11
x2 500GB Drives

INTEL (Alluminium): 10.5.5
x2 500GB Drives
--------------
I have a LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB interfaced by Firewire to a Mac Mini with 10.6.2. With both Time Machine and SouperDouper, the icons for the partitions keep disappearing from my Desktop, so that back-ups cannot be done. A dialogue box appears saying the disc is unrecognisable, and suggesting I initialise. If I do, I assume I will lose what is on the LaCie. Solution please ?

Last edited by gaedoh; 01-13-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: misprints