Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 AM

Restore problem

Greetings, new to the forum.

I've been using an unregistered SuperDuper to make bootable clones for backup, all fine up to now. I was thinking of stumping up the cash to register as Smart Backups seem a much better idea than spending 2 hours each time.

For the first time I needed to revert to a previous OS version after updating to 10.5.7 seemed to coincide with increased fan usage. I booted via Firewire from my external HD and as I couldn't actually find a "restore" option I'd been expecting to see, selected "Copy from Bootable Clone to Macintosh HD" in SD, kind of doing the reverse to what I normally do during backups.

First problem was that after 15 minutes of erasing Macintosh HD I got an error message saying "cannot erase disk". There was a button for getting a log report (or something similar) but it didn't actually work.

I cancelled everything and started again, despite warnings from SD. What choice did I have as SD had apparently already erased part of my internal HD? This time SD dealt with Macingtosh HD OK but then started hanging on the copying data part, 20 minutes of not actually doing anything. I had to cancel and start again. This time everything worked (incedentally, reverting back to 10.5.4 didn't solve the fan problem).

Needing to take three attempts to restore has got me worried. Can I safely buy SD, was this a one-time (user) error? Any tips?

Cheers

Last edited by dazzer; 08-08-2009 at 07:27 AM.