Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Talking Multiple disk backup & multiple user

Hi!

I have just purchased your programme Super Duper! on recommendation. I have a couple of questions for my backup plan.

I want to backup both the Macintosh (3 users) and 2x external 800 firewire drives (containing iMove files & the like) all to an external 500gb Seagate Freeagent USB drive (not going to be bootable I know).

I wondered what the best method to to do this is. I failed on the first attempt as it erased the previous backup (I used schedule to target all 3 volumes). I then figured that a disk image is the best way to go?

Also, will the backup of the Mac contain all the users data even though I do not have the privileges for that user (I am an admin on the mac).

Your help on this would be great!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, Andy. As I indicated in my reply to your support email, you need to partition the USB drive into three volumes. That way they can all live next to each other on the same drive.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Hi Dave, sorry my e-mail hasn't come through yet but I will go for that route (I checked some of the previous threads & they pointed me in this direction as well).
Just another quick question (or do I make a new thread?) is I guess you have experience of many drives, the Seagate Free Agent drive I have seems to have an annoying habit. If I manually put the Mac to sleep, the drive re-wakes the machine with the 'dive improperly removed' error stating that I may have lost data. Even if I eject the drive first, it still does this. Any ideas mate.
Thaks for your help.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

I've never used the FreeAgent. If it's a USB drive, and it's drawing power, it might be that it loses sufficient power on sleep that it's unable to retain a connection. You might need to eject and unplug the cable...
Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 PM

Cheers Dave, all sorted.

Nice one, thanks for the quick response.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Glad to help, Andy!