Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Stop Spotlight from indexing a mirror volume?

I am trying out SuperDuper for my backup needs, but I am encountering an annoying issue. I want to mirror my HD to a partition on an external Firewire drive. When I use SuperDuper to do this, Spotlight indexes the mirror and I get duplicate items every time I do a search.

I have used the shareware application Spotless to disable indexing on the partition volume and delete all index files on all volumes. I then asked Spotlight to re-index, and STILL my backup mirror files show up in Spotlight searches. (Even though Spotless tells me that indexing is disabled for the mirror volume.)

I have read the FAQ posted here but am still confused. For example, the FAQ post says,

Now, open SuperDuper! In Options, there's a selection for a "Site Customization Script". Check the box, and select the "disable_spotlight" executable in the open panel.

However, I don't see the "Site Customization Script" check box on any screens. Do you mean "Run shell script after copy completes" check box in the Advanced tab options?

I would be very pleased if someone could give me a clear list of procedures to perform a mirror backup (Backup - all files, bootable) on a periodic basis using Super Duper and keep this volume from being indexed by Spotlight.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Rather than doing that, please just add the backup drive into the "Privacy" tab in the Spotlight preference pane. That should do it. (Disabling indexing does not disable searching...)

Note that you might have to turn indexing ON -- otherwise, you can't add it to the Privacy tab. But, once added, as long as you're on 10.4.3, it'll stop indexing for that drive too...
Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Thanks, it seems to be working. Your hint to turn indexing back ON seemed to do the trick; otherwise, I could never get the volume into the Privacy list for Spotlight! (And simply stopping the indexing did not stop the searching, as you said...)

To keep this setting, I've told SuperDuper not to copy the \.Spotlight-V100 file and to do a smart update each time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far I am a happy (and registered) user. Thanks again!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Actually, Jeff, don't do the .Spotlight exclusion thing. We handle that folder automatically...
Old 12-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Dear Dave:

I removed my custom script (that said do not copy the .Spotlight-v100 file)and am just doing a smart backup, all files. After an automatic smart backup of my disk today, Spotlight is again searching the backup and reporting on what it finds in that volume. How do I *keep* the backup volume out of the Soptlight searches? Do I need to run the script from the FAQ mentioned above?

Again, Thanks!

P.S. I checked and Spotlight reported that content indexing was disabled, and the volume was not listed under the Spotlight Privacy tab. Yeaterday, I had turned indexing on (waited patiently), then added the volume to the Privacy tab, then went back and turned indexing off (I think). Should I simply keep indexing on for this volume?

Last edited by jeffj; 12-13-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Administrator

If you place it the Privacy pane, Jeff, it should be kept out. You shouldn't exclude .Spotlight, though... that could cause problems.

Make sure that your drive normally stays in Privacy across a reboot. If not, you might need to remove the .Spotlight folder.