Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 AM
kaz219

Selective bootable backup and partition

Hello,

ok, the title is not very clear, it's because what I want to do is not very simple. So here it is: I'd like to make a bootable backup of my hard drive on a partition of an external firewire HD. First question: how big must be the partition? Just as big as the boot HD, or a bit more?

But I want SuperDuper! not to backup my iTunes Libray on the bootable partition. I want to backup it on a FAT32 partition. Is it possible to tell SuperDuper! "Make a bootable backup, keep it synchornized, but without this folder"?

Greetings,
Old 06-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The partition only has to be as large as the data, plus some space if you want it to be bootable (15-20%). Making it the same size as the source is best, if you have the space.

As far as excluding folders, yes, you can do that. See the section of the User's Guide entitled "Excluding a folder from a backup". That goes through the process step-by-step.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 PM

If I do such selection, would the backup remain bootable?

I am new to SD, and have a similar query. I have read pages 20-25 of the Manual on selective backup.

Scenario 1:

After doing the initial full backup, later

I, say, ask SD to ignore the picture and music folders , then, would the backup remain bootable?

Scenario 2:

At another time, say I change my mind, and ask SD NOT to ignore the picture or music folders, and do 'smart update'/ 'copy different' on those. can SD do that? would the backup remain bootable in this case too?

Please let me know.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

What are you trying to accomplish?

In general, you need to use Smart Update with Erase, then copy or Smart Update to get a bootable backup. If you use that, and ignore your picture or music folders, they'll be removed...
Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 PM

my problem/ objective

i want to use my firewire hdd as a vault for all my files. my 80gb powerbook is full, so would like to transfer materials on the firewire hdd and provide relief to the p'book.

but since the firewire (lacie) is only 120 gb, i don't want to create a partition of 80gb on it for SD backup, and then loose the files once i synchronise with the p'book - as many of the files - after the initial backup - would not be on the p'book any more!

i think, in future, you should find a way to create a bootable backup such that , later, we have the option of preserving this bootability feature, yet "copy new or different" files on it only. so that the all the files co-exist. i would love that feature.

i immediately see the impossibility ; you might say if it crosses 80 gb in total then how the powerbook would cope while booting from the firewire.

hence, is it possible to separate this two features:booting and backing up, as follows?

(i) to create a small bootable drive of 4-10 gb [ similar to techtool edrive or protogo ]
(ii) next partition: backup and synchronise - through smart up date such that we have the latest on both
(iii) 3rd partition: files in vault - which will not be deleted but stay as it is , and do not interfere during booting . if needed we can manually transfer those back to the laptop/desktop.

when in crisis: we run just this firewire - WITHOUT plucking more hairs - and SD helps in finding the best solution (given that the firewire has all resources) to restore materials on the internal hdd.

Is it possible to do above - may be in a round about way - with the present version of SD?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

While I understand what you're asking for, that seems like a lot of potential complexity. A 300GB drive is only about $120 these days... perhaps it's time to upgrade?

You can always have a minimal install of OSX on a partition, then use a sparse image stored on the other partition, given the general steps in "Storing a backup alongside other files on a destination drive" in the User's Guide.